Chapter Nine- Part 2

“Magical pop star. Weird.”

            “Apparently he’s a Greek god,” Azura said.

            “That good looking, huh?”

            “No.  I mean, he claims to be one of the original Titans. There’s a lot of controversy around him.” Alice wracked her brain, trying to recall the small amount she knew about Greek mythology but nothing came to her.

            “Refresh my memory on the whole Titan thing?”

            “The Titans were the so-called ‘Elder Gods’ - there were six of them, descended from Ouranos, God of the Sky, and Gaia, Goddess of Earth.. They ruled during the Golden Age but were eventually overthrown by their own children, the Olympians. I can’t tell you much more about it, since I’ve never cared for Greek Mythology, but for Ambrose to claim to be a Titan is pretty cheeky - that would make him centuries older than anyone in New York, or the world, actually…and very powerful.”

            “Why would an ancient Greek deity decide to hang out on earth and be a pop star?” Alice shook her head. “Sounds fishy to me.”

            “Whatever the case, it makes for good publicity,” Gabriel commented.  “He’s gotten rich and famous off of his image.”

            “He sounds interesting.”

            Azura shrugged and turned back to the till, dismissing the subject. Alice looked over at Gabriel, who was busy filling the empty spaces on the Magical Compact display.

            “Thanks for filling in this morning, Gabriel. You can go relax now that Azura’s back. It’s your day off, remember?”

            “Oh right.” Gabriel put the last compact on the stand and picked up the empty box. “You…er…don’t mind if I just sit by the fire with Shakra for a bit, do you? It’s just kind of more interesting down here.”

            Alice smiled. “Of course I don’t mind.” Gabriel disappeared into the back room, and a second later they heard the gurgle of the coffee maker.

            “We should see about getting a third apartment put on as soon as possible,” Azura said. “I suspect that Gabriel is finding the guest room slightly cramped.”

            “I think you’re right. I told him to feel free to watch TV in the living room and make himself at home, but he pretty much just stays in the bedroom while he’s up there.”

            “I think he finds his attractive boss an intimidating roommate.”

            Alice blushed. “How soon can your magical building guy put another suite in?”

            “I’ll call him tonight.”

            “Sounds good.”

            The bell tinkled again, and a woman entered. She was tall and Alice could tell she was painfully thin under the vast, black robes she wore.  Her hair was silver grey, kept in a tight bun atop her head, through which two steel chop sticks were thrust. Alice thought she was the most severe looking woman she’d ever seen. When she spoke her voice was flinty and shrill.

“Good day.”

            Azura smiled thinly. “Good to see you, Germaine. How is Christianna?”

            “Christianna is precisely why I am here.” 

            “Not bad news I hope.”