Chapter Eleven- Part 1

Chapter Eleven

A Reluctant Intervention

            Friday night found Alice in front of the mirror, trying on every piece of clothing she owned. What does one wear to a Selective club? She decided she would do her best to look like a Witch - only, what did a Witch wear?

Eventually Alice narrowed it down to the little black hat with the netting that dropped over one eye, a form fitting red silk top with black buttons and a knee length black skirt with leather ankle boots. She examined the mirror and barely recognized herself.

Alice smiled, and the dark skinned woman in the mirror smiled back with cherry red lips. She never wore lipstick, but tonight she’d been daring. She chose a small bag decorated with red and black silk roses and decided she was ready. Locking the door behind her, she descended to the shop. Threads was dark, but Alice could see clearly; the streets of New York were always lit, bright lights shining through the windows, illuminating the shelves and their treasures, throwing long shadows into dark corners.

Gabriel was already waiting, dressed in dark jeans and a suit jacket. He wore a black fedora over his shoulder length hair, and Alice thought he looked particularly dashing.

His eyes sparkled. “I’m glad we both dressed for the occasion. You look amazing.”

            “Thank you.” Alice tried to keep her blushing to a minimum. “I wasn’t sure what to wear.”

            “That’s perfect.” Gabriel offered his arm teasingly. “M’lady, are you ready to depart?”

            “Thank you sir,” Alice took his arm, letting him guide her to through door and down the street. The night air was cold, and the bright lights illuminated the fog of their breath. She could hear the deep throb of music in the distance.

            “Just around the corner,” Gabriel said.

            “Do you think they’ll serve all the normal drinks?” Alice walked quickly beside him, her boots clacking sharply on the sidewalk. “If I order a Bloody Mary, will there really be blood in it?”

            “All Selective places offer both,” Gabriel explained. “So you may want to clarify.”

            “I’ll say,” Alice muttered. “That would be a bit of a shock.”

            The minute they turned the corner they could see the line at the door.  Alice looked up at the red velvet awning, and etched on it in curling golden script was the word “Rapture”. They stepped into line behind a very large black man and two blonde girls who looked at Alice, running bright eyes over her, challenging her. They each had thick lace chokers around their necks, but one of the girls had failed to cover up a pair of marks just above the collar. They were obviously the man’s familiars. Alice kept her face carefully blank, making sure her disgust didn’t show. It would do no good to pick a fight so she ignored them, talking to Gabriel until they reached the bouncer, a towering man who looked them both over and asked for ID.

“Alice Cunningham.” The man gripped her ID and looked at her more closely. “Of Threads?”

            “Yes,” Alice said slowly - she didn’t recognize the man; she would have remembered a giant like him if he’d come in to the shop.

            “Welcome to Rapture, Miss. You and your friend can go on in.”

            “Thanks.” Alice took her ID back, giving him a suspicious look.