Chapter Four

This is picking up from where Mabel leads the shark away, alright? Just to avoid confusion. Okay.

Chapter Four Start

The brunette sighed in relief as the predator sharply turned, but when his eyes caught on why, it switched targets, his breath hitched in his throat. The young male's fins flared weakly, chest rising and falling in uneven inhales and exhales as he watched his sister sacrifice her safety and life, possibly her tail, for him. Chocolate brown orbs followed every movement the siren, hissing through his teeth when a sharp jab of agony ripped through his back again.

He didn't have time to worry about that, however, as the farther his sibling dodged and jumped away from where he was, the more he panicked he became. When the man tried to call out in fear, all that left his mouth was a dry croak, even if he was submerged in water. He tried to extend his arm behind to finger whatever was causing him discomfort, but immediately retreated the limb when a sickening crack reached his ears and rivulets of what he assumed to be blood ran down his back, joined by the unmerciful pain.

He slammed his head backward, whining in frustration when his body refused to obey his commands and instead chose to lay limply and uselessly on the sand that was floating up in groups from the cause of his struggle. The current from the surface gently rocked him back and forth, slowly soothing his nerves as he allowed his eyelids to droop slowly, muscles relaxing contentedly as he relaxed to the soft embrace of nothingness.

A blur of neon pink passed his vision, and his eyes snapped open, corners of his mouth tugging upward to a small grin as the other brunette smothered him in a tight hug. He slowly lifted his arms and wrapped them around his sibling before wincing and letting them fall again when the cuts he had acquired on his limbs stretched. Dipper tried to push himself up, only to collapse onto his back and let out a scream filled with surprise and suffering.

The other's warm brown eyes were hardened with concern, and with an order that had him complaining, he flipped himself onto his stomach. Mabel noticeably flinched when she brushed her finger tips lightly across the webbing that attached the frail bones to the dorsal fin. "Oh, Dipper." She sniffled, and with alarm the brunette quickly sat up and branch her to his chest, softly assuring her that none of this was her fault, that he was the one who brought them out of the border lines. She sobbed into his chest, thin streaks of clear tears dripping down her cheeks and off her chin.

He lightly kissed her nose, drawing a shaky giggle from the young woman as she pulled away lightly, refusing his offers to help her as she instead curled a thin but strong arm under his shoulders and helped him right himself, slowing down to a reasonable pace so he would be able to keep up without stalling them further. He grit his teeth when his ripped tail brushed against apart of the sandy ground, grains of crushed rock embedding themselves into the gash.

He clenched his hands into fists, claws digging into his palms and drawing a thin string of blood that levitated toward the surface. Mabel frowned at the red liquid, facial expression morphing into one of confusion when a ghostly scream rose up, an invisible force pushing his weak frame back a few inches. "What....was that?" He whispered, maneuvering his body so he was curled around his sibling protectively, head rotating left and right before nearly falling back to the sea floor when the weight he had been supporting his weight on took an abrupt turn toward the noise.

Dipper weakly protested, trying to tug the other back on track, but the puzzlement radiating off from his twin's body language showed that whatever he could do at the moment wouldn't work, so he gave up with an indignant huff and let himself be pulled along. They navigated through the empty landscape, no green or life to be seen for miles, unless he were to count the dead kelp and coral that were pale enough to look like a part of the many bumps of sand around them.