Chapter 1

Lightpaw hissed as claws dug into her flank. "No claws, Brownpaw! We just had this conversation!"

Brownpaw stepped away, his claws glistening with her blood.

Lightpaw licked the cut on her flank. Blood oozed from it.

"That's what should have happened to dad." Brownpaw grinned. "Since you're the impression of him on the clan, I'm scratching him, not my idiot sister."

Lightpaw looked desperately at Egretflow. He looked displeasingly at her.

"This type of training makes your senses sharper, like in a real battle."

Lightpaw looked angrily at him. Whenever she saw him hanging around other cats, he's usually bright and happy-go lucky.

Lightpaw huffed and turned back to Brownpaw. She stared intently at him.

He lunged and dove for her paws. Lightpaw jumped onto his back and smushed his face into the dirt beneath. She slid her claws slightly into his back.

"Ow! Lightpaw, claws out was only for the last battle, not now." Brownpaw meowed.

Lightpaw widened her eyes. "What?!"

Egretflow stepped forward. "I never said that we would have claws out."

"You never said that we stopped!" Lightpaw pleaded.

Egretflow hissed. "We're done here, go back to camp."

Lightpaw dipped her head, knowing that she would lose any argument.

She walked before Brownpaw into camp. They hopped over a small stream that circled the island that they lived on.

Lightpaw padded two fox lengths and entered a small tunnel of arching and overlapping ferns.

The tunnel expanded high into the air. The floor of the cavern was slightly green, since the sun shone through the ferns arching overhead. Brambles were weaved painfully into the ferns, providing protection.

In the walls were small tunnels leading to each den. There was a hollow willow tree where the leader spoke and lived.

Lightpaw padded to the fresh-kill pile. She reached down to grab a mouse, but a cream paw quickly snatched it away.

"Oh, I caught, that. So I eat that." Softpaw smiled.

Lightpaw frowned. Her grey and cream paws kneaded the ground.

Softpaw took a large bite out of the stomach of the mouse. She tossed the leftovers to Lightpaw's paws.

"Actually, I don't want it." Softpaw walked away.

Lightpaw nudged the half eaten mouse away from her. She bent down again to the prey pile, this time to grab a squirrel.

"Lightpaw!" A booming voice stopped her once more.

"What?!" She growled.

"Don't talk to me like that!" Owlclaw walked up in front of her.