Chapter 9

"Cats who are old enough to cross the stream gather below the Calling Tree for a clan meeting!" Flightstar yelled from the willow.

Lightscale yawned as she padded out of the Warriors den. Last nights gathering had run late.

The sun shined in a sky splotched with white clouds. Lightscale watched as cats flooded from their dens and from the clearing. She noticed that Nightfire came out of the Warriors den looking almost as tired.

Once everyone had gathered, Flightstar continued.

"I suspect most of you have been notified of last nights gathering. There will be no more gatherings except for leaders and medicine cats. As the border patrol already knows, the territory line with Mapleclan and Willowclan has been cut short as to not make contact with other clans." Flightstar shook her fiery pelt then continued. "I expect you to obey orders and not meet up."

Flightstar turned around and climbed into her tree den.

Lightscale looked across the clearing at Nightfire. His head was down, but he raised it and looked at her.

Lightscale looked at the ground. She heard paw steps as Nightfire walked up to her.

"Are you okay?" He asked, sitting down.

Still facing the ground, she replied. "I don't know."

Nightfire gave her a worried gaze. "What's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk to you."

"If it's about what I said at the gathering I..." Nightfire was cut short.

Lightscale glared at him. "I don't want excuses. You made me believe you were my friend."
She sighed. "I knew it was too good to be true."

"It was a lie! I didn't know what to say so I just said that." Nightfire said in desperation.

"So you lied to my friends and me. You're no better than anyone else in this horrid clan."

"I apologize Lightscale! I didn't mean for you to feel this way."

"You don't care about me. You never did." Lightscale growled at him.

"I do care about you. Please don't do this to me."

Lightscale took in a breath. Her heart sped with anger. "You should have told me before you disrespected me. Good bye."

Nightfire lowered his head. Shame glinted in his blue eyes.

"Walk away Nightfire." Lightscale looked ahead at the willow.

Out of the corner of her eye, Lightscale watched as he padded sullenly out of camp. She let out a breathe she didn't know she had been holding as he jumped over the stream.

Lightscale hunched over the ground. Her face scrunched in anger. She growled.

Lightscale felt something on her back and fell face first onto the ground. Pain seared through her nose.

"You have to stand up for yourself. The ground needs to be taught a lesson."

Lightscale looked at the cat, Softleap. She felt blood come off of her nose.

Softleap glared back, though Lightscale saw her eyes waver.

"Oh, you gonna cry?" Softleap made a pouty face.

Lightscale pulled her hackles back. Her muzzle twisted into a snarl and a hiss escaped. "Back away from me right now."

Softleap hesitantly took a step forward. "Or what?" Her voice cracked.

"I don't need to answer that." Lightscale got off the ground and shook out her fur. She looked menacingly at the cream she-cat. "I said back away."

Softleap lowered her ears and started backing away. Her tail was low and she hissed.

Lightscale stared as the she-cat stalked into the Warriors den.

Lightscale lowered her head.

I'm gonna be stuck here with these horrid creatures for who knows how long. No more friends except Needlekit and Nightfi... No, just Needlekit.

Lightscale sighed as she lied down on the ground, her chin on her paws.

She stared at the ground, watching a strand of grass waving in the faint breeze. She let out a breath and watched as the green strand leaned away, as if trying to get away from her.

Lightscale got up half heartily. She padded out of camp, desperate for seclusion.

She padded to the willow. Her patched fur was scraped as she squeezed under the long branches.

Today, the inside was bright. The sun shone through the leaves, sometimes breaking for a cloud to pass over head.

Lightscale scented a mouse in her cave. The warm scent made her mouth water.

Lightscale scanned the small clearing and spotted the small grey creature sleeping on the roots of the willow.

Lightscale stalked silently over to it. She was right upon it. She simple bent down and wrapped her jaws around it's neck. It didn't even make a sound as blood filled Lightscale's mouth.

Still holding the mouse, Lightscale sat down and thought.

They don't even care about me. When the prey gets scarce I'll have to find my own food. Might as well start now.

Leaf-fall was almost upon them. Then the deadliest season, Leaf-bare.

Lightscale couldn't imagine being sick in leaf-bare. Having a bigger chance of dying.

She set the mouse down and took a large bite. Her stomach gurgled in pleasure.

If I get sick, will they leave me to die?

Lightscale almost choked on her next bite.

But, wouldn't it be against the warrior code?

Lightscale despised herself for not knowing.