Chapter 26

Warning: this chapter gets very violent in graphic detail. Don't say you weren't warned.

Lightscale couldn't believe how soon Snowwhisker returned to warrior duties. After only one moon of caring for her two kits, she began going on patrols. Timberheart still remained as temporary deputy, however.

With Snowwhisker out of camp, Lightscale found that her two kits, Heatherkit and Otterkit were the most troublesome kits she had ever seen.

Every day they tried to sneak out of camp with one of the patrols, every day they were scolded, and the next day they would try again. Their fiery spirit was identical to their mother's.

Currently, Lightscale was watching as they wrestled in the center of camp, their excited squeals waking up cats who were trying to doze in the midday sun.

"Heatherkit, Otterkit! Quiet down", Snowwhisker growled at them. She then put her head back on the ground, where she was trying to sleep next to Brownclaw.

Lightscale looked at the brown and white cats from where she sat next to the fresh kill pile, and sighed.

I wish Redleaf was here.

Thankfully, tomorrow was the night of the gathering. Lightscale was impatiently waiting for it, eager to see her mate and friends.

All she wanted was for the day to be over.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The night was quiet and still. A chilly breeze blew through camp, sending shivers up Lightscale's spine. She wished the warmth of the day had stayed for the night.

Lightscale currently sat guard at the entrance to camp. Though an important job, no one wanted to do it. Snowwhisker had put Lightscale there purely for torture.

Despite the cold weather, Lightscale scanned the forest ahead of her. The screech of an owl was the only sign of life.

Starting to get bored as the moon rose high above, Lightscale started grooming, taking out the dirt in her paws. A sudden rustle behind her made her turn around.

There was nothing there.

Ears perked, Lightscale scanned the clearing, her muscles tense. The only sounds were the wind and the trees.

As Lightscale's gaze hit the dirt place tunnel, she noticed the fronds of the ferns waving back and forth. She let out a breathe and her muscles softened.

Only a cat making dirt.

Though she knew it was nothing, a pull in her chest told her to stay. To watch the entrance and wait. She oblidged.

As time wore on, Lightscale's curiosity and confusion heightened. She padded up to the entrance, and in case there was a cat inside, she barely poked her head in. The dirt place was quiet, cold, and empty.

Quickly, Lightscale backed out and padded to the outside of the camp. She padded to the outside of the dirtplace and tried to scent anything. A familiar scent made her pelt prickle.

What is Snowwhisker doing?

Mouth open, Lightscale followed the scent, leaping over the stream and padding into the forest. As the scent grew stronger and the smell of her brother mingled in, Lightscale slowed down.