Chapter 22

"Take Lightscale with you."

"Really, Snowwhisker? That cat couldn't teach Egretflow to mope."

Snowwhisker hissed. "Don't speak about him like that. He's mourning."

Softleap rolled her eyes.

Brownclaw growled softly. "You should have respect for a senior warrior."

Lightscale looked down at Needlepaw. She had been back at camp for a moon now, and could see how much stronger her younger brother was.

Needlepaw had his head lowered, though his gaze was towards Whitekit, who was frolicking in the snow.

"Well, you're going on a border patrol with her, then to the training island with her." Snowwhisker puffed out her chest. "Do I make myself clear?"

Softleap lowered her head and grumbled. "Let's go."

Softleap set off at a fast pace out of the camp, bounding over the stream.

Lightscale came up at the end, right behind Needlepaw. Needlepaw easily cleared the gap.

Lightscale couldn't believe that she had missed four moons of his life.

The patrol padded along the Mapleclan border, not running into any patrols.

Needlepaw and Patchpaw sprinted back to the training island, but Lightscale and the others trotted.

"When we get there, don't say anything," Softleap growled. "I don't want my apprentice's head filled with nonsense."

Lightscale growled, but kept quiet as they arrived at the training hollow, the apprentices in the middle of a mock battle.

Lightscale was shocked to see how hard they hit eachother. No one was inflicting real damage, but Lightscale still couldn't believe Needlepaw could ever harm anyone, let alone be strong enough to do so.

The apprentices sprang apart as they noticed the warriors.

Needlepaw stammered. "W... we were just waiting for you."

Softleap shook her head. "No, continue. I would like to see what you need to improve on."

Patchpaw looked at Brownclaw for acceptance, and when the warrior nodded, Patchpaw sprung at his brother.

Lightscale couldn't imagine how much damage Needlepaw could do if Softleap corrupted him.

"Needlepaw, do a front swipe!" Softleap yelled at him as she circled them.

Needlepaw flicked out his paw, but he was unbalanced as Patchpaw moved aside and pushed him over.

Patchpaw quickly leaped onto him,pinning him down with his large paws.

Needlepaw huffed, his spotted pelt writhing under his brother.

Brownclaw nodded. "Good job, Patchpaw."

Patchpaw smiled, hopped off, and shook out his fur.

Softleap grumbled. "Needlepaw, even when you strike, you are vulnerable. Never let your guard down."

Needlepaw lowered his head. "Of course, Softleap."

Shaking out her fur Lightscale circled the island where there was a thin layer of snow, watching as the two apprentices huffed.