Chapter 23

Lightscale slowly crept along the boulder. The shadows cast onto the rocks by nearby trees made her almost invisible.

She quickly bounded around the rock and behind another, her tail curled around her leg as to not get bitten.

Her target was a lime green snake, it's gaze focused on a thin mouse.

If I can land the snake, I might be able to catch that mouse.

Though her paws were frozen from padding through the deep snow, she gingerly stepped up to the snake. She crouched low as she neared, but, hidden among the snow, a sharp rock jutted into her paw.

Lightscale yelped in pain, making both possible prey scamper away.

Cursing, Lightscale hissed at herself. She then looked at her paw, the red liquid flowing steadily out of her paw.

"Damnit," she huffed as she quickly limped out of Snakerocks and gathered the rest of her prey, a lucky sparrow. Though it was skinny and an easy kill due to its broken wing, prey was prey.

The black feathers tickled her nose as she met up with Rosefeather, Greysparrow, and Brownclaw, the rest of the hunting patrol.

Rosefeather held a mouse between her teeth. Lightscale could see Greysparrow and Brownclaw slightly hang their head in shame and embarrassment, for they bared no prey.

Greysparrow shook out her fur, trying to wash away the shame from her eyes. "Good job you two. It seems as if the north part of the territory is withholding it's prey." She nodded towards Brownclaw. "We will stay behind to find more. You two go to camp."

Lightscale shivered and nodded, about to turn around, but Rosefeather set her mouse into the snow, it's bloodied neck turning it pink.

"Let's all go back. It's freezing and I don't want my kit's ears falling off." She gingerly stepped up to Brownclaw, and pressed against her son.

Brownclaw, however, curled his lip slightly and shifted away. "Thank you, mother. But it is my duty to provide for the clan, and I shall do just that." He gazed at Greysparrow and nodded. "Let's go."

The two tabby cats ran away into the forest, their paw steps muffled by the thick snow.

Rosefeather walked around Lightscale and picked up the mouse. "Seems as if I truly do not have any kits anymore," she said through the mouse, a hint of sorrow in her voice.

And I haven't seen Timberheart around Rosefeather that often anymore, and it seems as if he's been keeping my half brothers away from her.

Lightscale tried to ignore it, but it raked through her. She did not know why, but she did care about her mother, and now it seemed as if her mother had no one.

Just as I have felt.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A harsh wind sliced through her fur. Lightscale huddled at the corner of the warriors den, the wind was seeping through the holes.

The other warriors were huddled closely together, each other for warmth. Lightscale looked at them, envying the warmth and companionship.

Oh, Redleaf. I wish you were here.

Lightscale's head bolted up suddenly.

It's the third night! How could I have forgotten!

Lightscale quickly rushed out of the den. She headed into the dirtplace, hopped over it, and pushed her way out the other side.

Lightscale sprinted as fast as she could through the snow. She looked up and saw a quarter moon at its highest.

The snow, being blown from the sky, pummeled her sides and face. The strong wind whipping through her fur did the opposite of help her with the cold.

Please be there.

Lightscale was out of breathe by the time she reached the barn, and was worried as she saw no sight of the red tom waiting for her.

She quickly padded inside, catching her breathe as she looked around.

"Redleaf, are you here?" Lightscale scanned the barn as her eyes adjusted to the dim light.

"Lightscale." A relieved voice sounded from the darkest point of the den, and the most shielded from the cold.

Lightscale pranced up to the sitting tom and put her forehead to his.

"I'm so sorry, It's hard to remember when I'm tired and have to hunt three times a day," Lightscale apologized.

"I thought you wouldn't make it." He looked at her through warm green eyes.

Lightscale huddled closer to him as the wind blew snow across the floor.

"It's too cold to stay here," Redleaf said sadly.

Lightscale shivered, but still spoke. "But with the shortages of food, tempers are doing the same, and I need you more."

"Would you rather we be dead?" Redleaf lowered his head. "I miss you dearly as well, but we also need to take care of ourselves, and I'd never forgive myself if you froze to death journeying back home through a blizzard."

Lightscale sighed but nodded, her ears were already becoming numb. "Until when?"

Three days after the next Gathering, unless it's snowing.

Lightscale nodded sadly but trotted after Redleaf. They said their goodbyes through a nuzzle, and trotted into the blinding cold.