Chapter 29

She smiled faintly at Lightscale. He laughed, something Lightscale had never seen him do before her.

Softleap gently pushed Egretflow's shoulder.

"Shut up, mouse-brain", she grumbled.

Lightscale chuckled.

So this is what it's like to be a normal cat. Well, mostly normal.

It had been a moon since Nightfire was killed. And a moon since the clan had accepted her.

I guess they finally realize that I'm an actual cat with feelings and pains.

Her stomach churned. It had been doing that recently. She assumed the prey was having a large bought of sickness. She hoped it wouldn't cause the cats to become ill.

Though the sky was grey with clouds, Lightscale was happy. She managed to keep the thoughts of Nightfire at the back of her mind, and her head filled with images of talking happily with the others.

"Attack!"

The peace was suddenly broken as warriors started streaming out of the entrance. The aroma of grass and flowers filled the air as Mapleclan attacked.

Lightscale, Softleap, and Egretflow sprung to their paws, teeth bared.

The cats nearest the entrance, Patchclaw and Timberheart, were attacked first. Lightscale saw Rosefeather yowl in fury as she dove towards the intruders.

Following her mother's lead, Lightscale ran towards the surge of cats. In her mind, she prayed that Redleaf would not be there. She spotted a red pelt, but couldn't tell whether it was him or not.

The first cat she spotted was Rosepaw, claws out and fangs bared. The cream she-cat didn't hesitate as she attacked Lightscale.

Lightscale let out a barrage of claws. She felt them connect, digging into Rosepaw's nose and cheek.

Lightscale wasn't surprised when Rosepaw's eyes flashed with recognition but she kept battling more fiercely than before. From the time they had spent in the barn to now, both cats had changed enormously.

Lightscale was caught off guard as Rosepaw heavily swung her paw at Lightscale. Lightscale collapsed to the ground, head ringing. Rosepaw quickly jumped onto her exposed belly, landing heavily on the soft skin. The strongest jolt of pain she had ever felt passed through Lightscale. She screeched in agony. Rosepaw began digging into her stomach, a cruel and painful attack.

Distracted by the constant pain in her stomach, Lightscale lashed out weakly. Her vision began to blur as blood began spattering her face.

"Get off of her!", a yowl sounded distant in her ears as Rosepaw was knocked off.

Lightscale shook her head trying to see through the pain. She spotted Brownclaw viciously fighting Rosepaw, exchanging blows with the 10 moon old apprentice.

She's too fierce for her own good.

Lightscale rolled over, trying to get to her paws, but she felt something wrong in her stomach. She knew her flesh was in pain from Rosepaw's claws, but there was something else. Something dreadfully wrong with her.

Lightscale weakly stood on four paws, but she sighed in dread as she came face to face with the red tom. He was not Redleaf. His pelt was much darker and he had white paws speckled with blood.

"Please, don't." Lightscale hated saying those weak words. She only said them if she was desperate, and she was currently in deep pain.

The tom growled and swiped his claws at her face. Lightscale could feel a gash open just above her eye. Her vision half blinded by red, she watched as the tom disappeared into the mass of battling cats.