Chapter 4

"Nightfire! Softleap!" The clan cheered for the new warriors.

Lightpaw scowled. They had their chest puffed like the clan belonged to them.

At 11 moons old, Lightpaw was eager to become a warrior. She knew her warrior name was going to be Lightscale. Flightstar would make sure everyone remembered why they hated her.

Lightpaw lowered her head. Her ears flattened against her head. She would never get them to give her a second thought.

Lightpaw was surprised to see Skypaw and Softleap nuzzling.

They're just good friends, right?

Lightpaw wasn't against two she-cats, but how could they be happy without kits?

Lightpaw turned around and got scratched on her leg. She whirled around in anger to see none other than Nightfire.

"Came to gloat?" She hissed.

"Actually, yes." He smirked. "I bet you really want to be a warrior now that I'm one."

Lightpaw took a few steps back. "For the love of Starclan. Where did you get that from."

"Oh, my dazzling personality." Nightfire smiled. "But you can't have me."

Lightpaw pretended to throw up. It was almost real. "You're sickening."

Nightfire smiled at Greysparrow as she walked by. She rolled her eyes at him.

Nightfire looked back at Lightpaw in the corner of his eye. "Yeah, uh, she's just shy."

"You're barely a warrior and you're already hitting on she-cats." Lightpaw growled.

Nightfire shrugged. "I like to play the odds."

Lightpaw looked at him in disgust. "A she-cat wants more than good looks."

"So you think I look good."

Lightpaw hesitated. "I...no... That's not what I meant!"

Nightfire gave her a large toothy smile. "What do you mean then."

Lightpaw took a deep breath. "What I mean is, that a she-cat wants to have a mate that cares for her as much as she cares for him."

Nightfire stared at her. His face plastered with something Lightpaw was unfamiliar with.

She looked at him curiously.

Nightfire shook his head and hissed at her. "Just leave me alone."

Lightpaw rolled her eyes. "You were the one who came to me fleabag."

Nightfire snorted and walked away.

Lightpaw glared at him.

The darkening sky set a tone on the clan. Everything white had some purple in it.

Lightpaw watched as Nightfire went to the camp entrance and sat down next to Softleap. His black pelt rippling.

Lightpaw couldn't understand the tom's ways. He was the one who talked to her the most, but he hated her.

A screech rang in the clearing. Lightpaw looked around with wide eyes.

Rosefeather had collapsed onto the ground. Brookrush came running forward.

Timberheart ran to them. "What's happening?"

Brookrush gave him a horrified look. "She isn't supposed to have her kits for another moon."

Rosefeather screeched again.

"Get some sticks!" Brookrush yelled to Timberheart.

Lightpaw watched in silence as he bolted out of camp. She had a strange feeling in her gut.