- Ch.2 - Just Deserts -

"Wha-" but before I could even say anything he evaporated. Literally evaporated into a ball of black smoke.

The smoke twisted up and formed a long serpentine form and then suddenly darted at me, Making me flinch., But instead of any sort of pain, all I felt was the shadowy figure slowly falling onto my arm and lazily creeping up towards my sholder. As it passed, I  realized that the feeling this smoke had was that of a warm fur.  Now drifting past my shoulders to being passed across the back of my neck ; Slowly morphing into other sensations.

I felt it turn into warm water but i wasn't wet and prickly grass but i was still standing at the altar. Suddenly the feel of sleek feathers passed across my chest, down my stomach and down my right leg all the way down to my soles. So odd, yet so familiar.

A sigh escaped my lips.

Suddenly I felt nothing. The smoke vanished, the pause on time was lifted and I was left standing there in front of everyone looking like I had just seen a ghost.

•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•○•

I tried my best to act like nothing happened as the rest of the service continued. I said goodbyes and shook hands. But as soon as I steped foot outside the church I felt a rush of relief.

"What just happened?", I wispered to myself.

I walked over to my pretty little white Hyundai Accent and got in. In full fledged movie mode I checked the back seat to make sure no one was going to choke me as I sat there. Now fully paranoid I locked the door and just put my head against the steering wheel.

"What the hell..."

TAP TAP TAP.

I jupped so high I hit my head on the roof of the car.

My parents looked back at me from the other side of the glass with worried expressions on their faces. I quickly pulled down the window.

"Honey, are you OK?", My father said.

"Why does everyone keep asking me that?" I whined.

"Probably because you look like a madman whackadoodle running around and looking over your shoulder every two minutes. "

Leave it to my father to make me giggle at a time like this.

"Whack-a-doodle? ", I raised him an eyebrow. "Classy!" I laughed.

My dad grinned and passed a hand through his hair, blushing. "Ah, you know what I mean."

"That I look crazy?" I asked.

"More or less." My mother answered.

I looked at her. Her eyes screamed worry.

"Mom, I'm fine.", I said trying to convince myself more than her. "I'm just stressed with school and stuff." That wasn't a lie. Studying to be a nurse was not a walk through the park. Especially not through final exams.

They just looked at each other for a moment.

"Hun," mom said." If you want we could take our little trip some other time if you need me to study with you. I've done surgery for 22 years, yet you wont let me help you with this. If you need us, we're here to support you."

I just looked at her for a moment. Her honest worried expression. The way she fidgeted whith an airline ticket in her hands. I realy couldn't believe what great parents I had. They were willing to pospone their 25 year wedding anniversary just so I could feel their support and she could help me study.

"Mom. Have you lost your marbles!? You've practically been bouncing off the walls this past week for that trip. I'm a big girl. 22 next month remember? Besides, you helping me and practically telling me the answers should not be considered 'studying'. Feels more like using Wikipedia on a history report."