Chapter 6

After the chemistry class, I walk outside with Liam. Two hours of learning organic reactions could turn anyone insane, the fact that attending every double chemistry class counted for the final grade, didn't help either. As I walk outside I begin to wonder if I should tell Niall and Louis about the whole Julia thing.

"Im hungry" Liam interrupts my train of thoughts, but the low rumbling in my stomach reminding me of the same fact.

"Yeah lets go eat something in the cafeteria" I suggest as we walk together, discussing random topics and having a laugh. It had been ages since I had talked to someone this way. It had also been ages since anyone wanted to voluntarily hang out with me.

Grabbing some coffee and sandwiches, we pick the farthest table, seating ourselves in the corner so that we could avoid the loud noise from the jocks. I remember the time when the jocks were actually decent guys, but after they too got involved in the racket of bullying, everything's just gotten worse.

"What are you thinking about?" Liam mumbles, with a mouthful of sandwich.

"Eh trying to remember the time the jocks were actually decent" I say. "Anyway, we should be going out tonight. Its been too long since I hung out in the city with you, you aren't saying no" I say, to which Liam just smiles.

"Deal then" he says. "Besides its not like I have plans on weekdays, its just weekends" he says and immediately his eyes widen after the last part, "I mean like-" he begins fumbling, "like you know, reading plans-"

"James" I gasp. The only situation where I'd call him by his middle name was when I knew he was hiding something from me. And he definitely was, the idiot.

"Spill" I say, a lopsided grin on my face as I keep the half eaten cookie down.

"Well" he blushes, and I already know it's a girl.

"Oh my god James" I say, laughing at his flustering nature. "Dear lord who is this girl who's gotten you so whipped?"

"Its nothing like that" he tries to defend, but ends up with a silly smile on his face. "Her name's Danielle and well she's back at Toronto but yeah-" he says, his hand rubbing the back of his neck rather awkwardly, "we've been together for an year"

"Aw" I cooed, teasing him. "James you are so whipped"

"No im not" he says, trying to look away, but the smile on his face evident, despite his efforts. After a couple more minutes of teasing him and learning more about Danielle and how she had actually met him through an online chat website, only to find out later that they were in the same school and stupidly enough, in the same class as well.

"But it was a class of 100 people" he defends himself and I roll my eyes. "How could I possibly know her?"

"Yeah yeah" I halfheartedly agree

"By the way, why do you hate steph?"

The question catches me off guard as I look at him slowly, internally debating whether to tell him the truth. He would be pissed off, yes, but I didn't want to create more drama in my life.

"Uhm middle school rivals" I shrug, hoping he'll buy it. "Used to be best friends, but now she's found a slut clique of her own, plus she bullies people and I don't like such people"

"Bullying happens a lot here, doesn't it?"

The tone of his voice dared me to look at him in the eyes and I did the exact opposite, staring at my nearly finished sandwich, I slowly bring it to my mouth, not daring to look at him. "Yeah" I say, softly.

"Have you ever been bullied by these people?"

His tone was much more demanding now, it was as if he knew everything and was just waiting for me to confirm it. As much as I wanted someone by my side, I couldn't tell him. Even though he was the person who'd always be there for me, I was still scared.

Scared of losing him.

What if he listens to the rumours? What if he starts believing in them too? What if he joins their clique and decides he's too good for me? Even though I trust him, I was still scared. It was as if this deepest, darkest part of my mind was telling me that he's eventually leave me too, and I'd be alone, like always, succumbing to the hateful words on the inside, but at the same time, maintaining a façade of not caring. I pretended to not care. It did make things easier, sometimes.

But not everytime. It didn't help when I couldn't stop hurting, it didn't help when I cried endlessly, It didn't help when-

"Jess?"

"No, Liam" I quickly say, still not meeting him in the eye, afraid that the tears ive been holding back will spill out. "I need to go"

"Jess are you okay-"

And I blatantly ignored my best friend's calls and walked out the cafeteria. What if he knows? What if he'll leave too? The fear had started haunting me, already piercing through my mind like knives.

"Slut's back" I hear Hilary's voice as I stand in the middle of the hallway, turning to face her group of friends who were still hanging out with her by the lockers.

"Have you ever tried this thing called shutting the fuck up?" I reply, and watch as her eyes widen.

"What the fuck did you just say to me?" she raised her voice, obviously embarrassed by me talking back, something very much unexpected.

"Yeah, you heard me" I say and try to walk away, but I feel a strong grip on my arm, and im tugged back instantly.

"You think you can talk back to me and just escape?" she smiles sweetly as her group of friends laugh. A rush of fear courses through me as I know what is to come. "Fucking bitch" she says and I feel a strong pain on my cheek as I stumble back, only to hit the floor as Im pushed again, my back hitting the floor, the impact causing immense pain to course through my body.

"You're so fucking disgusting, you worthless piece of shit" she says as I pretend to not be affected by anything and I get back up, feeling the wetness of my tears already on my cheeks. "You think people want you here? We all want you to fucking die, pretty sure no one cares about your existence"

I could feel her following me, as I stumble and walk towards the door leading to the other hallway. "Yeah, walk bitch" she says and I feel the pain in my knees this time and I stumble to the floor, writhing in pain, the chorus of laughter clearly heard throughout the hallway. She kicks me in the knees again, as I try to fight back but it being worthless as always.

Why did they all hate me so much? What had I done to them?

The pain in my knees becomes unbearable as I lay flat on the floor now, tears streaming down my cheeks, as hurtful words are directed at me. Even though I tried to fight back, Hilary was much stronger. Just when I thought I was going to give up, with her last blow of physical abuse and I was going to be left alone in the hallway like always, I heard a voice.

A very familiar once.

But the least one I was expecting.

"What the fuck are you guys doing?"

I remember feeling a wave of surprise flash through me as I realize that someone is standing up for me, but when I crane my neck and look up to see who the person was, the surprise disappeared, only to be replaced by pure shock as Im completely taken aback fir the person who had stood up for me was none other than Harry.

Harry Edward fucking Styles.