PART 10, SECTION 5

Whatever had just happened between Shawn and Lindsay, I didn't quite have time to think about it, because Chris made an another announcement.

"So," he called out to the crowd. "Here's what we're gonna have to do. If you have a hand up right now, and if you don't already know you're positive, then you're gonna have to have a little TGV test. And anyone who tests positive, well, we're gonna have to hook you up with an antibiotic regimen right away." He stepped off the ledge muttering, "I just hope most of you Goddamn bonobos used protection. Jesus Christ." Then he cupped his hands around his mouth and yelled, "Just make a line at my door, folks. Follow me! Let's get going."

Someone screamed.

The crowd, most of which had started shuffling after Chris, turned to look at the group of teens from Denver who'd been sitting near the Bottorffs. They were two boys and two girls, all of them around sixteen. They'd paired off and sat with their arms draped around one another, and they'd been pretty much the only people who'd been holding up their hands with unabashed pride, giggling the whole time.

But now one of the girls, petite and with a dark pixie cut, let out another scream.

Doug Bottorff, still covering his five-year-old daughter's eyes, had reached over the teen's shoulder and was grabbing at her breast. He'd twisted his head around and had her ear in his mouth, breathing heavily. The girl screamed again while her boyfriend, terrified and bewildered, struggled to pry Doug Bottorff away.

I raced toward them, as did half the crowd. With the help of a few other refugees we managed to separate Doug from the girl and hold him on the ground. His wife, shocked and embarrassed, hustled their kids away, apologizing incessantly to the teen girl while looking over her shoulder in terror at her now-subdued husband.

"This is not good." Chris fell to his knees and grabbed Doug Bottorff's wrist, checking the pulse. He touched his forehead. "He's hot." Chris was frantic. "He's really hot." Now he gave me a look of panicked bewilderment. "Doug always takes his meds. Always. This should not be happening."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please VOTE 🌟 before continuing! Thanks! ;) xxBailey