PART 12, AUTHOR'S NOTE - 2/21/15, 1:58pm

I've never written more than 2,000 words so fast in my life. I'm only about a quarter of the way finished with this part, but it hasn't taken me much more than a couple hours. At least I already had most of Part 12 planned out in my head, so all I have to do is write up the story. Sorry it's so rough and hurried. At this rate, though, maybe I'll actually finish by sundown.

But even that soon may be too late for Kyle. He's shivering so bad that he can barely speak.

What I wanted to make sure to post before I get back to the story is that it was definitely gasoline that the cop doused Kyle with. I called out the window after the cop left, and Kyle was able to mumble amid his shivering that the liquid smelled strongly of fuel. He told me he was okay, though, and that the cop was only trying to scare us, and not to worry.

But I'm really, really worried.

If the cop has perversely fallen in love with me, or at least sees us getting together in some twisted fantasy, then he might be looking for any excuse to get rid of Kyle.

And while I was writing the end of the Ruben scene, just as Kyle's hair finally was drying out, the cop marched out to the driveway and dumped a fresh canister over Kyle's head and shoulders. He gasped and started shivering again, more violently than before.

Even if the cop doesn't intend to ever light the gasoline, and he's only trying to scare me into writing faster like Kyle said, it's only getting colder outside. I'm pretty sure Kyle's close to hypothermia, if he's not there already.

He's shivering really bad. I don't know how much more he can take. . .