Chapter Two : The Handmaiden

A fog blew in from the east, over the mountains and down into the valley of the capital as the sun set below the horizon. The streets of the city were alight with the glowing candles of the people in mourning. Black cloths hung in the window of every home as a dark flag flew above the palace. The city had never been so silent. Apart from the clanging of soldiers uniforms, there was little to be said among the townsfolk. Inside the taverns people would sing songs about the now late Queen and whisper of her daughter and the coronation to come.

Amongst the commoners there stood a girl, beautiful and tall, her white hair tucked away in her cloak. She slipped through the mourners, silent and unnoticed, and towards the castle. She moved with haste, nimbly dodging those who crowded her path.

She carried nothing on her but a small bag tucked away in her pocket. Earlier that day it had been full of gold, but it was now near empty. She began to move faster, aware of the distress within the castle. It was imperative that she reach the castle without being spotted, by commoners, royals and knights alike.

As she approached the castle gates, the crowds thinned and soon she stood outside the great castle gates. Within the castle everything was dark, illuminated only by the glowing red candles in each window, throwing a bloody light over the courtyard. It flashed brilliantly off the breastplates of the guards, flickering as they marched. As the girl walked quickly towards the palace doors, she relished in the silence. The only noise in the night was the footsteps of the patrolling soldiers and the twinkling music of a mourning harp coming from deep within the castle. It was late, and at this time of the night all the servants would be in bed and the nobles would be seated in their chambers with their wine and their lovers.

"Halt." Yelled a voice behind her, "State your name and purpose. The castle is on lockdown. All entries must be approved by the Bishop."

Paddoc turned to face the man, a knight, his armour clean and un-dented, clearly a young one. He wore no helmet, instead carried it under his arm, while his other arm gripped the handle of the sword at his waist.

She lowered her cloak as she spoke to him; "I do not wish to offend, but I believe we now answer to a Queen Vivienne, Daughter of the late Elaine, Granddaughter to Garwin the Brave. It would be her wish that he lady be allowed to come and go from the palace as she pleased and without question."

"I'm sorry, m'lady" the handsome knight replied, "But it's our orders, all must be reported."

The girl laughed, "On who's authority? I am Paddoc Travine, maiden of the Princess, nee Queen, Vivienne Lamina. On my authority, as right hand of the Queen, I order you let me go and I will pay for your silence. I was not here tonight, I did not pass in nor out of the castle." She reached into the tiny bag she carried and withdrew a handful of coins. "What do they pay a guard of the crown?"

"M'lady, three pieces of gold a fortnight." The man stammered in confusion.

Paddoc the handmaiden counted the coins in her hand and made him and offer, "If I were to triple that and give you nine, would it be that I were never here?" The young lady asked, offering her hand to the man.

He took the coins from her thankfully as he nodded his agreement. Paddoc could tell that the young knight had never held so much gold before this day, nor, she thought sadly, if all went as she thought it may, was he likely to ever do so again.

As the knight left her, the maiden re-donned her hood and entered the castle. There wasn't much risk of running into a guard inside the palace, apart from the occasional solitary standing by royal doorways, guarding those frightened by the unnatural death of their Queen so close to home. Paddoc knew that Vivienne's room would be heavily guarded and the thought gave her peace. There would be four guards at the foot of the stairs and two posted outside her door.