Chapter Ten : The Escape

A/N: After this afternoons update, I thought I owed you a chapter, so here it is. I apologise for the slight dodgyness - I'm still trying to get back into the flow, but I really enjoyed writing this and it's quite a bit longer than most of my other chapters. It's far less intense than the last one, I promise. Enjoy!

Paddoc could feel hear hear racing in her chest, hear the blood pumping, making her head throb. The Bishop had left his chambers minutes ago, but she was froze, still crouched in the tiny space below his desk. With shaking limbs, she hauled herself to her feet and stumbled dizzily towards the door. She felt much more at ease once she was out of that wretched room, and she leant on the wall, resting her forehead on the cool stone, until the dizziness stopped. As soon as she felt able, the girl burst into a run, sprinting with all she had to Vivienne's room, where she stood in the darkness and waited for her friend to return.

After many hours of patience, Vivienne ambled into her chambers and collapsed miserably on her bed, kicking off her delicate shoes as she did so. Paddoc, from her place in front of the darkened window, waited for Vivienne to settle. He hours in the dark had allowed her to consider an escape and she knew well a frightened and angry princess would not simplify anything. Once Vivienne lay still, Paddoc spoke.

"We're leaving the castle." she said simply, startling the young princess.

"Paddoc.." Vivienne cried, tense with anger at her friend but at a loss for how to express her displeasure.

"I know you're angry at me, you have right to be so," said the girl calmly, "but right not you must trust me. I told you that I was here to protect you. I hoped I never would have to but that day has come and you need to come with me. Tonight."

Vivienne opened her mouth to argue, but closed it again on second thought. She had argued with Paddoc many times and always her friend had won. She sat in quiet contemplation, wanting to refuse but knowing her friend too well to do so.

"I can not tell why why just yet, all I can say is that you are no longer safe here." Paddoc whispered pleadingly.

Vivienne could not help but think of the servants outside setting up already for her grand coronation, or the guests from all around the kingdom, currently holed up in taverns or on the road rushing to be in the city by dawn. She shook all thoughts of her coronation and looked over at her friend whose silhouette was just visible in front of the window.

"What do I need to do?" She asked calmly.

Paddoc left her static position by the window and turned to face the Princess. "Change," she said calmly, "Wear something warm, preferably plain. Take off your jewels and put them in your pockets. I'll be back when the clock next chimes. Be ready to go."

Paddoc turned to leave, before turning back to her friend. "Before I return you must dismiss your guard. Tell them that in your excitement tomorrow you wish to give them time off, say what you have to."

Vivienne nodded to herself as Paddoc departed, listening to her footsteps fade as she spotted down the stairs.

Though Paddoc had never been a servant, she had never been one of the nobles either, and so had learnt in her youth to use the servants passages when navigating the castle rather than the main ones which were often crowded with guards, guests and royals. These passages led to and from all the main work rooms; the kitchen, dining hall, stables, great halls, servants quarters, and some even led to openings near royal chambers. It just so happened that behind a panel in the wall at the bottom of the princess' tower was one of these, and so Paddoc slipped unseen into the poorly lit tunnel.

The passages were cold, lit only once every hundred steps by dim lamps. At night they were often silent and empty as the staff slept. Paddoc rushed quietly through the castle in her hidden hallway. She felt the ground beneath her feet begin to slope downward and knew she had begun her decent into the kitchens. As she neared the opening of the tunnel she could hear the bustle of the next days preparations and the excited chatter of the cooks. She knew that she would have to pretend the whole time she was there that she had simply snuck down for a midnight snack as she plundered what was there, and so, feigning a bright smile, she stepped out into the light and merriment that was the palace kitchen.