Authors Note

It's not often that you create something that means quite as much to you as this book does to me. I began writing this 2006, the year my brother was born. I've always been a lover of fantasy, yearning to escape to new lands and go on magical, thrilling adventures. My brother as he grew up, turned out to be just like me, an avid reader, dreamer and adventurer.

This book was started in a binder folder on a scrap piece of paper in my first year of high school, written in lunch breaks and sneakily in class when I should have been listening, all that time I was writing. Of course, that is not the version you are reading now. It was, however, the foundation of the first chapter of this tale - a dead queen and an impressionable young princess.

I have passions aside from writing - I love to draw, to read and to act. For 5 years I taught children after school drama and the first play my class produced was of an excerpt from the original book.

In 2015 I found my old pages, screwed up and abandoned in a pile of notebooks and struck with inspiration I started to write again, transposing what had been created onto my computer and expanding the world I had made. Then I stopped.

In 2016 once more I discovered the story, hidden away in a folder on my hard drive and I started once more. I promised myself that this would be the year the book was finished. I was going to gift it to my brother that next Christmas. I broke that promise one month and 10,000 words later on the 10th of August.

On the 10th of August exactly two years later the document re-surfaced and here I am, writing once more about the princess, her handmaiden and their adventures through my imagination.

I hope you can fall in love with this story as much as I have over the last 10 years.