Chapter Twenty Three : The Lion and the Lambs

The witching hour was almost up when a pack of soldiers, having received word from the farmer of a strange, beautiful princess wandering his land, rode upon the little cottage. Lord Henry Darle rode at the head of the pack, his head high and awash with the satisfaction of victory. The people thought Vivienne dead however, he was about to experience her true demise by his own hands.

Entering the cottage there was no man in sight, just a smiling woman and two children, only teens. Darle was disappointed, he had hoped the man of the house would greet them so he could extend his gratitude in person.

"Oh, hullo!" Cried the woman, "Guests at this time of night! What a day!" She laughed and put the kettle over the hearth.

"We've no time for tea ma'am, you sent for us in regards to the girl who visited your property earlier this evening. Where shall I find my cousin?"

"A girl? Ay there's no girl 'ere, jus' me'n m' kids. I ain' even sure where my 'usband's at."

Lord Darle sneered, he had no time for this woman wasting his time. He turned to his men, "I want every inch of this farm searched and I want the bitch found." And obediently off went his officers. He turned to the woman, "If I find you are lying to protect those two then I will let you watch as your family die."

Henry was surprising even himself with his words. He was not a kind man, he was vengeful and impulsive, but the hate for his cousin that burned within him fuelled a kind of ferocity and ambition he had not known. He knew killing the family before him was wrong, but they also now knew that the princess was still alive and lying to their king was treason, punishable by death.

"Ay we ain' seen no royals in these 'ere parts, jus' you and tha's odd 'nough innit m'lord."

Henry had little time to reply to the woman when he was called outside by his men. He rushed into the field and there, wrapped in a cloak far too fine for a family of such low status, was the body of a man, his throat slit and ragged clothes drenched in his own blood. It was evident he had not been there long, as the blood had not fully dried and was still slick and wet.

"That's an awfully nice garment for a dead man." One of the soldiers stated as he tapped the cloak with his foot, "Looks like something you'd dress a royal in if you ask me."

Darle agreed, "The Princess was here tonight which means she can't be far, I want riders sent out in every direction. As for the fat woman and her pups, she has lied to her King."

"What shall be done with her?"

"Kill them all."

And so the three remaining members of the family were strung upside down from the eaves of their farmhouse the boy Erry could not see his mother but he heard as she died, then his sister. Finally he was the only one left and just as the soldier controlling his fate lifted his sword to cast the fatal blow, the man who called himself a King stopped him. Though time had darkened his heart, Henry Darle saw himself when a looked at the kid, a young, happy, playful child.

"They boy I want," Darle ordered, "I'm sure I can find use for him, pressing my shirts and running errands."

"And the house?"

"Burn it to the ground."

Erry may have lost everything but his story is only just beginning. What path will he take - will he follow Darle or will he want revenge on the one who slaughtered his family?