Chapter 3

Katelyn's POV-

I didn't need to go back to work. I just couldn't stare into his empty eyes any longer.
I had desperately stared at him, hoping his eyes would show any emotion, anything, but all that shone in his eyes had been utter confusion. My heart nearly split in two.
I passed Dante, who I had called in while driving here. I knew he'd want to see him, they've been best friends since...forever.
Dante grabbed my arm and flashed me a worried expression. "How is he?" He asked quietly.
I shook my head. "Clueless," I respond. "Absolutely clueless."
Dante pursed his lips and looked away, dropping his arms limply at his sides. We had all been secretly hoping, no matter how hard we tried to hide it, that Travis would remember something about us when he woke. I had that pleasure. I wish I didn't. For Travis. Now I know what he was thinking when he saved me.
I told no one about what Travis did for me. No one saw but the driver, and he wouldn't talk for the life of him.
"The doctor said he may get his memories back, though." I added, trying to lighten the mood.
"Well, that's great." Dante replied, his fake smile growing slightly less fake.
"Oh, and Dante, while Travis goes through physical therapy and rehabilitation, he's going to need someone close to him to teach him about his life. I recommended you, I really hope you take that offer up."
Dante seemed taken aback. "Me? Of course! But don't you...not trust me?"
I chuckled. "Of course I don't. That's why I'm making Nicole go with you. I trust she'll keep you in line, you never do anything bad around her." I smirked.
"Well, she's a good friend. And acting like my usual Casanova self isn't really working for her." He shrugged, indifferent.
I was rather suprised. "Don't you like her?"
"Eh...to be honest...I've moved on. She seems to want all the attention, and I honestly don't see her as more than a friend now. I like someone else." He shrugged again.
"Really? Who?" I asked. Nicole would be heartbroken, but I didn't like her around him anyways.
Dante laughed and winked. "That's my secret. Well, see you around!" He walked away in the direction of Travis's room.
I sighed and exited the hospital. What should I do...by now my shift is over. I should probably go home. I turn the keys and pull out of the parking lot, and find myself in front of the boy's house. Hmm. Funny how my hands turn, uncontrolled, into the driveway. My feet unwillingly walk to the front door. My fingers unknowingly push the doorbell.
Weird.
A few moments later, Garroth answered. "Hey Katelyn, wassup? Laurence and I are watching a movie, wanna join?"
"No...I'm not really sure why I'm here." I confused, looking at my feet.
Laurence appeared, wrapping his arms around Garroth's neck. A light blush spread across Garroth's face. I would be fangirling if I wasn't so depressed because of Travis's condition.
"I think I know why Katelyn's here!" Laurence sang, resting his chin on Garroth's head.
"Can you tell me, I don't know myself." I sighed.
"Follow me." Laurence let go of Garroth, causing him to whimper in protest. They've been secretly dating for a couple months now, I knew because I walked in on them kissing once. I've pledged not to tell. Laurence walked off into his house and I followed.
I found Laurence standing in front of a door.
"Well, go in, if he'd want anyone too, it'd be you." Laurence told me, and I knew it was Travis's room.
Tentatively, I opened the door. His room was painted green, go figure. Posters of animes and shows had been hastily hung up, and a large bed with green sheets and blankets. His beside table was strewn with papers and books. Clothes had been thrown into a messy pile in one side of his room. His dresser was on the other.
They hadn't touched it since the accident. I understand why. They want nothing to change, like me. They want Travis back, like me.
His green hoodie lay on his bed.
I walked over to it, slowly, and picked it up. It smelled of cherry mints. It smelled like him. I buried my face into it and wept, spreading across the bed. I knew this was what I had needed.
For my endless stream of tears to be comforted, by him, even if it was just a memory.