Chapter 8

(A/N): Please read!!!
I will not be updating much, if at all, this week, due to vacation. I'll be on writing for three days after vacation, then I'm moving. We're driving, so I'll write in the car and publish either late night or early morning,  depeneds on how late we get in and if the hotel offers Wi-Fi. Thanks!

Travis's POV-

Charlotte sat down in the living room, rocking the infant she had brought with her gently. All eyes where fixed on her or me. Katelyn sat, tensed up, next to me. I think she thought Char was some sort of past lover or something. Is she seriously jealous? "Is the baby yours?" I ask my sister softly.
"Oh, Fern? No, I'm still the loner I was!" Charlotte chuckled. "Her parents passed in a shooting." A tear trickled down her cheek. "She's my adaptive sister's daughter. My adoptive parents had passed before that of old age, so I was left with her." Charlotte hung her head.
"Aw, I'm so sorry!" Aphmau and I exclaimed at the same time. "Matrix!" We both called again. Aphmau and I gasped.
Charlotte giggled. "Alright, so I assume you want to hear my story?" She asked.
"Yes, please!" I sau excitedly.  I can't believe my sister found me! I thought something had happened, or that she just gave up. I tried to forget her. "So, the family took me in, and I worked for them with their bills and stuff. Graduated two years early, now I work from home as an online college professor. It pays good. I never stopped looking for you, but they never taught me my actual last name. It wasn't until I came across that story and saw that picture of you that I knew my last name was Valcrum. So I drove down here, and, well, here I am! I also found a nice house not to far away, I'm planning on moving here!" Charlotte said excitedly.
"Charlotte, that's amazing!" I cried out. Charlotte smiled.
After chatting with everyone and meeting my friends, she stood up.
"Well, I think I should get going. I didn't mean to interrupt your party."
"No, please stay!" Aphmau cried. "You didn't crash it, you just made it better!" Charlotte looked uncertain. "You sure?"
"Absolutely!" Laurnace called out.
Charlotte hesitantly agreed to stay, and everyone continued to party. Katelyn nudged me. "I didn't know you had a sister."  I shrugged. "To be honest, I didn't know either, until recently. I didn't know what happened to her, and it never really came up. At least I think I never did. I might of lied." I chuckled, as Katelun did too.
"You know, she doesn't seem half bad." Katelyn commented, lookinf back to her. "Woah, look, she's getting Zane to talk!"
"Wow, really?" From what Vlyad, Zane's brother told me at therapy, Zane is very dark and antisocial. I looked over to see them making small talk.
Katelyn laughed. "Hey, I want to show you something. Follow me."
I agreed and she took my hand in hers, and we ditched when no one was looking. Katelyn lead me into the forest, twisting and turning. Finally, she stopped. I gasped.
It was beautiful.
A small clearing led out to a large creek, flowers floating across the surface. A family of ducks swam lazily across, and a small stone cave covered in ivy was to my right. All of this beauty concealed by trees. "Wow." I breathed. "How'd you find it?" I asked. Katelyn chuckled softly. "I didn't, you did. You shared it to me."
I felt a burning desire in my chest, one I remember from a flashback to high school when I first met her. Her voice was so different, her hair was shorter, but she was just the same.
"Katelyn, were we a thing?" I blurted out. She turned to me. "Huh?"
"Did we...date? I don't know why I'd think that, I just know I liked you in high school, and I get the same feeling around you now." I ramble.
Katelyn looked to the ground. "No...we weren't."
I felt my heart drop. But I had one question left. "Did you...did you want to be, Katelyn? Because I'm pretty sure I did."
That's when Katelyn broke down in tears. Oh, great going, Travis. Then she said something that suprised me. "Y-yes. The day of the crash,  I had went to tell you, but then you had been joking around, and I couldn't take it, and I ran home and there was a car-I froze-you pushed me out of the way-you saved me, and it should be me with no memories, it should be me who's hurt, and I don't deserve-" Katelyn rambled on, and it came back to me so clearly it shocked me. Her frightened posture. My heart thumping as I pushed her away. The pain. For Katelyn. For Katelyn. For Katelyn. 
I couldn't let her continue to put herself down. I love her. I pulled her into a hug, interrupting her ramble, our forheads pressed together. She froze in my arms, fixed her teary blue eyes on me. I hate to see her cry. I titled my head and closed my eyes. Then I did it.
I kissed her.