Lily's Furry Little Problem

Sidebar: If you'd like to see Marlene's perspective on this chapter, visit my other story, Violet Hill.   

The rainy, dreary weather had finally begun to let up a few weeks later, making way for air that was cold, dry, and occasionally bitter with snow. The skies continued to look stormy and morose, every once in a while spitting out cold, white fluff.

Lily was walking between the tables in the Great Hall, searching for James, who she'd grown accustomed to spending meals with, though she ended up finding Marlene first. She was surrounded by piles of Daily Prophets and letters. Taking a seat beside her friend, whose head rested upon the table, she began filling her plate with sandwiches and beans on toast.

"Hey there," Lily nudged her, suspecting she may be asleep.

Marlene sat up slowly and turned her dark, watery eyes to Lily. "Mary's gone."

"Gone? How do you mean?"

Marlene tried to blink away her tears. "Her parents took her out of school. There was a Death Eater raid in her parents' neighborhood last night. They got out safe, but an entire goblin family was slaughtered. Four children and the parents."

Lily's was horrified, and she suddenly felt cold. "When did she leave?" And how had she not known this sooner?

Remus appeared, taking a seat beside Marlene. He cleared his throat, probably trying to get one of the girls attention, but neither noticed.

"Last night, I guess. They sent you and D-Doe letters, too. Sh-she's not coming back anytime soon and we're not to c-contact them. I think they've g-gone into h-hiding." Marlene was still in tears, and Lily turned to hug her. Marlene pressed her face into her shoulder.

She'd been so preoccupied with classes and James and her Head duties that she'd not been thinking much about the outside world. The threat of death over her own head just for being Muggleborn was realer than it had ever been. The world around Lily suddenly turned darker, heavier.

Amidst her thoughts, her gaze wandered over Marlene to Remus, and her thoughts of the war were shaken from her. The scars above his eyebrow seemed more prominent and redder, causing his uncombed hair to only thinly mask them. His eyes were bloodshot and anxious. He looked sickly, his skin pale and clammy.

Marlene suddenly pulled away, startling her out of her thoughts on Remus's appearance. She wiped her eyes and stood. "I'm going to the Owlery, I'm not hungry." Lily wanted to follow her, to comfort her more, and she decided she would, after figuring out what was the matter with Remus. She gave Marlene's hand a squeeze before the long-haired, puffy-eyed girl left the Hall with some papers in her hand.

Turning her attention to Remus, she frowned. "Are you alright? You look as though you're going to hurl."

"Follow me," he muttered to her as he stood and walked briskly the same way Marlene had gone.

Lily, confused, did as he asked, and fell into step beside him once they were outside the Great Hall.

The two strode down the empty corridor, Remus making haste as he pulled out a piece of parchment, which he spread. Pulling out his wand, he tapped the tip against the parchment. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

They took a turn around a corner, and his speech became low and fast. "I thought I'd be fine for dinner, but I'm not. This map shows everyone in the castle and on the grounds, no matter where they are or what they're doing every second of every day. And right now, my friends-" He pointed to a cluster of names, including the other three Marauders as well as a group of Slytherins, in a third floor corridor. "-are occupied. You need to help me with my problem. You're the only other person who can do this on such short notice. I know it's an immense risk, but-" he grimaced and clenched his jaw for a moment before pain appeared to subside. "It's going to happen within the hour, and I won't make it to the Shack alone. Please."