Answers

Sidebar: If you'd like to see Marlene's perspective on this chapter, visit my other story, Violet Hill. Additionally, I made a Marauders Era playlist on Spotify a while ago. If you want to check it out, my user is caribbean88.

It took a while to convince McGonagall that they should be allowed to go see Professor Dumbledore. And the whole time, Lily felt bad for her Head of House. It was the dead of night, the castle had only just calmed down from the explosion of chaos that surged through the hallways, and now, the woman had to deal with Lily, Marlene, Doe, James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter, who adamantly refused to go into their dormitory. Although Lily was one of the main instigators, she couldn't help but to pity the Professor.

Especially when the woman walked all the way to Dumbledore's office to see if he was willing to speak with seven of them, then all the way back to tell the students. By the time McGonagall had returned to the seventh years, Emmeline had joined the throng of teenagers. The girl had wanted to come with and see if she could help with the war efforts as well, much to Marlene's distaste.

Not only had McGonagall gone to Dumbledore's office and back, but she escorted the group up to the Headmaster's tower. It was a wonder the woman wasn't dry heaving or passed out by the time they'd passed the gargoyle that guarded the office and reached the top of the stairs. Lily for one was winded. Granted, she'd just spent the night chasing and being chased after by Death Eaters. Still, she was grateful that she'd had time to change out of her gown and into some comfortable pajamas. McGonagall didn't have that luxury.

McGonagall moved to stand in front of the door to Dumbledore's office, looking not at all winded despite her older age. "McKinnon, Dumbledore would like to speak with you first."

As Lily tried to regain her breath, she looked at Marlene, trying to gauge her expression. Her face was stoic, her hair still in its initial updo, which was now all over the place. Her friend seemed... hardened. She appeared pointedly ready, as if she were about to step onto a battlefield and was prepared for anything that could come her way.

It made Lily smile as the olive-skinned girl disappeared within Dumbledore's office.

The redhead then looked to McGonagall, whose features reflected the same exhaustion as the others. Though, Lily could bet the Professor was even more tired, seeing as she'd hunted down and rid the castle of the Death Eaters.

"I'm sorry for the hassle," Lily said to her Head of House quietly as the others began to take seats on the floor, leaning up against the wall.

"Lack of sleep is preferable to you choosing to do nothing," the Professor replied simply.

Lily was oddly touched by this, and offered McGonagall a smile before taking a seat between James and Doe, Emmeline on Doe's other side. Sirius was between Remus and Peter on the opposite wall.

Funnily enough, McGonagall also took a seat on the cold stone floor where she'd been standing. She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, though Lily suspected she remained aware.

"What d'you reckon they're talking about?" Peter asked, his watery eyes looking bloodshot and tired. His hair was sticking out in all directions like James's, and Lily wondered if he'd done it on purpose.

"Marlene's brother," Lily said, leaning her head on James's shoulder. He took her hand and gave it a squeeze, before gentling rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand. His eyes were fixated on their intertwined fingers.

"Her brother?" Peter blinked.

"The dead one," Doe said bluntly. She'd taken her updo down when she'd changed clothes, and her hair was now a dark, odd-looking combination of wavy and straight.