Act of Treason I

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 16, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: A History Lesson – This has almost no relevance to the chapter, but I find this interesting. In the show, Anne was arrested last on suspicion of adultery and incest. In face, she was arrested only a day after Mark Smeaton. The order went Smeaton on April 30, Anne and Sir Henry Norris on May 1, George Boleyn on May 2, Sir Francis Weston and Sir William Brereton on May 4, and Sir Thomas Wyatt and Sir Richard Page on May 5.

16 April 1536

The Imperial Ambassador was coming to court today, and Charles was busy making preparations. Several ambassadors had arrived already, including the French one, who had been cornered by the Queen shortly after his arrival.

"Your Grace!" a voice rang out from behind Charles. He turned to see a man slightly shorter than him with neatly trimmed brown hair and dark eyes. The man bowed. "Your Grace, I am Francis Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon," he said.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, my lord," Charles responded with a nod of his head.

"Your Grace, my wife tells me that your son John and my daughter Frances get along rather well, and has hinted that she wishes for me to speak with you about the potential of arranging a marriage between them," Francis explained.

Charles smiled. "I will have to talk to my wife and the King, but I like the idea. I shall see about having a contract drawn up," he responded.

Francis thanked Charles and bid him farewell before rushing off to tend to his own affairs. Charles turned back to the hall before him and watched as the palace servants worked to prepare it for the feast that night. He wondered what Amelia would think of the marriage. She had been near John's age when her marriage to Hans had been arranged. He couldn't imagine how hard it must have been for her to understand that she had to leave her family behind and live in a different country. He wondered why Mary hadn't been sent to live with the Dauphin's family during their engagement or Spain to live with the Emperor until their marriage.

Whatever the reason, he was sure that John was not going to be leaving them any time soon, and any daughters they had would not become wards of other families if they were contracted to be married. He had realized that family was important to him, and he would protect the ones that he loved whatever the cost was.

Amelia had noticed the French Ambassador leaving the Queen's alcove in a huff. She was surprised by this. It was no secret that the Boleyns favored the French over the Imperialists. The feast had done nothing but confuse her. She had even overheard Thomas and George Boleyn making a toast with Eustace Chapuys only a few moments ago.

"Bonjour, Excellence," Amelia greeted the ambassador with a low curtsey. "Tout va bien?" Hello, Excellency. Is everything okay?

"Tout est très bien," the ambassador replied. "Mais, la reine a insulté toute la France!" Everything is fine, but the Queen has insulted all of France!

Amelia could tell there was anger in his voice. "Je suis désolé d'entendre cela, Excellence," Amelia responded. "Peut-être qu'elle est juste une mauvaise journée. Je l'ai entendu dire que Sa Majesté l'habitude d'être á la cour française. Je ne pense pas qu'elle pouvait hair votre peuple." I am sorry to hear that, Excellency. Perhaps she is just having a bad day. I have heard that Her Majesty used to be at the French Court. I do not think she could hate your people.

The ambassador smiled sadly. "Vous n'êtes pas oblige de justifier ses paroles, ma dame. Je crains qu'il pourrait y avoir aucun moyen de." With that, he nodded his head and continued on his way out of the feast. You don't have to justify her words, my lady. I am afraid that there might be no way to.

Arms suddenly wrapped around her waist, causing Amelia to jump in surprise and nearly spill her drink. She turned her head and looked up at her husband, who had a wide grin on his face.

"Hello, love," he whispered in her ear as he kissed her temple. "I have excellent news."

"Do you?" she responded, turning to face him.

He nodded. "Francis Hastings came to speak to me today. He wants to see about arranging a marriage between John and his daughter Frances," he told her.

Amelia smiled broadly. "John will be sad to hear that he must wait to marry Francis," was her only response.

"I hear that your master is anxious for an alliance?" Henry asked Eustace with a hint of impatience in his voice, waving off the nosy Boleyn men.

"He is, Your Majesty," Eustace responded with a smile.

"On what terms?" Henry countered almost immediately. He wanted an alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor, but not on some ridiculous terms, like placing his two older daughters above his daughter with Anne in the line of succession.

"On such terms as Mr. Cromwell has outlined to us," Eustace replied. Both men turned as Cromwell entered the room. "The restoration of some relation between England and Rome, the inclusion of the Lady Mary and the Lady Amelia in the line of succession, and support for the Emperor in his war with France over Milan," Eustace listed.

Henry chuckled. Oh, how he would love to get into a war with France.

"As far as the Lady Mary and Lady Amelia are concerned, it may be that God has not thought to send Your Majesty a male issue because He believes that England should have a female succession," Eustace continued.

That made Henry upset. He turned his back on the ambassador and took a few paces away from him. "What are you alleging, Excellency?" he asked, in a much louder tone. "Am I not a man as other men?" he shouted, turning to face the crowds with his last few words. He turned back to the ambassador. "Am I not?" he asked in a quieter tone. "AM I NOT?" he shouted in Eustace's face.

The music and festivities came to an abrupt halt.

"You do not know all my secrets!" Henry shouted.

Eustace, recognizing his cue to leave, bowed and started to exit.

Henry thought for a moment. He really needed to ally himself with France or the Holy Roman Empire, but the French had insulted him more. Instead of calling his legitimate daughter a bastard and his bastard daughters legitimate, as the French had done, the Emperor had only requested that Mary and Amelia be added to the line. Since they were bastards, they could be added behind Elizabeth.

He turned around and walked towards Eustace's retreating form. "I want everything in writing. The Emperor's offer, everything in writing," he told the older man urgently.

"That is not possible, Your Majesty!" Eustace called out as Henry turned and began to walk away.

Henry stopped. "Do you think I am a child, to be first whipped and then petted?" he asked as he began to once again walk back to the ambassador. He grabbed the ambassador by his doublet. "If your master wants to deal with me, he must first apologize for all his ill treatment of me in the past. He must accept Queen Anne!" There was a pause as Henry pointed to his wife sitting on her chair. "I have nothing more to say to your master," Henry said, releasing Eustace's doublet and walking away through the silent feast.