The Northern Uprising

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 24, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: Wow it's been a while. I think it's easier to write when I'm at school and procrastinating than when I'm at home with all the time in the world.

A History Lesson: The leaders of King Henry's forces against the rebels were Thomas Howard, 3rd Duke of Norfolk, and George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury. Norfolk was the one who issued a general pardon and promised a parliament and an end to the destruction of abbeys until parliament met. Henry did not authorize Norfolk to do this.

8 October 1536

"The Queen has summoned me to court to surprise father!" Mary burst out one morning. While Amelia was feeding Owen, Mary had gone to greet the messenger who had come. She returned with the largest smile on her face, bouncing excitedly as if she were a child.

"I take it you are excited to return to court?" Amelia asked, raising an eyebrow.

Mary seemed to realize what she was doing and stopped, standing up straight and smoothing out her skirts. "I am very glad for Her Majesty's generosity and kindness, and for thinking of me to surprise our father," Mary said, her expression a diplomatic mask of indifference.

"We then must thank Her Majesty for her kindness and generosity," Amelia replied, her expression and tone mirroring Mary's.

There was a brief pause in their conversation before both girls burst out laughing, after which they agreed upon a brooch that they could present to Her Majesty to express their gratitude.

Since Mary had come to live with Amelia at Westhorpe, she had overall become happier. Although their was the nagging guilt in the back of her mind over signing the articles and damning her immortal soul, Mary had realized that she was able to express her emotions freely around Amelia, and that Amelia didn't care. It had taken her longer to feel the same way around Charles, but she had seen that Charles and Amelia considered her to be family, a different type of family than what Mary was used to. They were always smiling and laughing, almost never serious.

Even when Mary had been angry with Amelia and shut her out, Amelia didn't send her away. Instead, she had helped her to be reunited with her father.

In truth, Mary was excited to return to court. It meant there was a possibility that her father might legitimize her again, or find her someone to marry. But her happiness over her return could not overpower the sadness that she felt over leaving her sisters and nephews behind. Even Elizabeth, whom she had originally despised because of her mother, was able to bring a smile to Mary's face.

She packed her her things with mixed emotions.

25 October 1536

Owen's shrill cries woke Amelia from the heavy sleep she had fallen into. Sighing heavily, she lit the candle that she kept by the side of her bed and headed out to Owen's chamber.

She was surprised to see her husband was sitting in the room, the tiny infant in his arms almost completely calmed down.

"You're home!" Amelia exclaimed quietly. She set her candle down and sat next to her husband.

He smiled at her. "I told you that I would have enough men to help me return safely," he whispered. "The rebels at Lincolnshire dispersed peacefully, and the rebels who gathered near York have dispersed with the promise that there will be peaceful negotiations, which I will be leading."

"My father is very gracious to offer peace to the people of the north, and I'm very thankful that you will be the one to negotiate it." Amelia paused. "The fighting worries me. I don't want to see anyone die in this skirmish. There has to be some way for this conflict to have a peaceful resolution, and I only hope my father sees this."

Charles stood and placed Owen gently back into his crib before kneeling in front of his wife. "We must trust that His Majesty will make the best decision for the good of the country," he responded quietly.

The couple both rose to their feet and paused for a moment on their way out of the room to look at their youngest son, now sleeping peacefully. "Do you think he knows what an amazing father he has?" Amelia asked with a smile on her face, tilting her head slightly to look at her husband.

Charles returned her smile and gaze. "Of course. He has an amazing mother to always remind him."

13 December 1536

It was a few weeks before Charles had left to deal with the rebels, and a few weeks before he had returned. Winter was settling in around the country, and Amelia enjoyed the few flakes that occasionally fell from the sky. Mary had written to Amelia and her family a few times. It was a big affair in Westhorpe when Mary's letters arrived, with John and Elizabeth hopping up and down excitedly, waiting for Amelia to read the letter to them.

The one that came home with Charles was different. John and Elizabeth were especially excited, and even Owen smiled when he realized his father was home. The family got even more excited when they read what Mary had written.

It looked like they would have Christmas at court this year.