Civil Unrest V

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 23, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: The Lincolnshire rising began on 2 October 1536 and effectively ended on 4 October 1536 when the Duke of Suffolk offered men the chance to return home without a fight. The number of men who chose not to turn home was relatively small. Chances are, those who remained lost their lives, but the uprising taking place in Yorkshire (The Pilgrimage of Grace) was far larger and needed to be dealt with first. Robert Aske was also only about 35 or 36 at this time and unmarried.

3 October 1536

Life had been comfortable for the last few months. Owen seemed to be growing quickly. The little baby boy was a happy child with an easy temperament. John and Elizabeth had played outside frequently. The Hastings family had even come to visit a few times. Elizabeth had gotten along well with Frances, and the three young children had played all day under the warm summer sun while Amelia, Catherine, Mary, and Francis had conversed in the shade. It had been one of the times that Charles was at court.

Charles was at court more and more frequently, it seemed. Amelia knew that it meant something.

Her suspicions were confirmed one morning. Since autumn was beginning to settle in, Amelia and Mary were working on some new clothes for the children, getting them ready for the cold winter that Amelia was sure would settle in any day now. Mary and Amelia's relationship had improved drastically since their father's visit, and now they both prayed that Elizabeth would one day return to their father's favor, just as they did.

On that mid-September day, Amelia watched in horror as men burst into her home, led by Charles, dressed as if they were going to war. She could feel her jaw drop to the floor, and watch as Mary's jaw followed. John and Elizabeth scrambled behind Amelia's chair, and Owen began to wail in his crib. Amelia put her sewing down and went to cradle her son, rocking him gently and shushing him.

He stopped crying long after all the men had disappeared, a peaceful expression eventually taking over his face as he fell back asleep.

"What's going on?" Mary whispered. They could hear the voices of the men down the hall heatedly discussing something.

Amelia shook her head slowly. "I have no idea," she responded. She looked at her sister, and then at the baby in her arms, before putting Owen back in his crib and storming down the hall.

Charles and the other men stood around the table in the room, looking down at parchment and drawing their fingers across it.

"Charles, what's going on?" Amelia asked as she burst into the room, a mixture of anger and concern in her voice.

He looked at the men on either side of him. "Leave us," he told them, standing up straight as his wife walked towards him. "His Majesty has charged me with leading his army against the northern rebels," he told her. Amelia could feel her anger fade away as tears began to form in her eyes. "You are not to worry," Charles continued, his tone softening. "I will have at my back enough men and arms to subdue them easily. I have His Majesty's promise."

"I hope to God he keeps it," Amelia responded in a tone equally as soft. "I wouldn't want our sons to grow up without a father."

Charles smiled. "I am happy to accept this charge," he said. "Cromwell is being blamed for everything, and the rebels are demanding his head, not mine. With God's help, I may well be able to deliver it."

Amelia was silent for a moment. "With God's help, Cromwell's head is the only one they want," she finally said. "For all of our sakes, I only hope that the King and the rebels will reach a peaceful resolve. When are you to leave?"

"This afternoon," Charles told her, a look of deep regret on his face. "I am so sorry, Amelia," he said when he saw Amelia's face fell. "I should have written to you sooner and told you as soon as I found out."

"It is alright," Amelia replied softly, reaching up to hold Charles's face in her hands. "I understand. The King makes his decisions quickly, and we must all learn to adapt."

Charles simply sighed and wrapped his arms around his wife, who returned the gesture. Her head rested against his chest, and she listened to his heart beat strong and steady. It was one thing to have Charles go to court for a day or two, but another entirely for him to go off to fight some unknown enemy.

That, she realized, terrified her.