You Have My Permission

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 39, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: The show seems to skew ages just a tiny bit. In 1542, Catherin Parr was thirty years old, and Elizabeth was nine. Also, Mary and Elizabeth were not restored to the line of Succession until after Catherin and Henry were married. Even so, they were never legitimized and retained their bastard status, which led to some difficulties later down the road. The change in succession will not be recognized until later in the story.

25 December 1542

Mary had been delighted to host the Christmastide festivities. She had gotten much better over the past few months, and now seemed happier and healthier than she had been before. She was pregnant for a second time, and positively glowing. She was maybe four or five months along, just far enough to begin wearing looser dresses.

Philip stood by his wife's side as they greeted guests, proud of all the work that she had put into organizing the celebrations. It seemed that every time he attended an event with Mary, he grew more and more in awe of the grace that she handled herself with, particularly when saddled with figures whom she didn't like.

Mary greeted Catherin Parr with a wide smile. "How is Lord Latimer?" she asked.

"No better," Catherin replied, shaking her head. "He did not feel strong enough to come to court."

"We are so sad for him," Mary said, linking her arm with her husband's. "And for you. We pray for both of you."

"I thank you for that," Catherin told her. "I will give him the good wishes from you and your husband both, and we shall pray for your family as well. Happy Christmas to both of you."

"Happy Christmas, Lady Catherin," Philip responded for both him and Mary, smiling as he did.

As Catherin went to go greet others, Mary turned to look up at her husband. "I do feel rather sad for the Lady Latimer," she said softly. "Her first husband, gone after three years. And now, the Lord Latimer, I fear, will soon be gone as well."

"It cannot be all that bad for the Lady Latimer in the future," Philip whispered in response. He pointed to Thomas Seymour, who had been looking at Catherin the entire time. "I do believe that the Lord Sudeley is quite taken with her."

"You think so?" Mary asked, a smile playing on her lips.

"As taken as I am with you," Philip replied, gently kissing Mary as she giggled.

"His Excellency, the French Ambassador," the herald announced, shattering the moment between Philip and Mary.

"Excellence," Mary and Philip both greeted warmly.

"Lady Mary, Your Grace," Charles de Marillac responded, kissing Mary's hand. "Enchanté. Je persiste à penser que vous auriez fait une éspouse parfaite pour le duc d'Orléans, mais je coris que vous aves trouvé un excellent match dans le duc de Bavière." I persist in thinking you would have made a perfect bride for the Duke of Orléans, but I believe you have found a most excellent match in the Duke of Bavaria.

"Je suis honoré que vous croyez," Mary responded. "Peut-être ma sœur, Elizabeth, fera un meilleur match pour le duc que je ne." I am honored that you think so. Perhaps my sister, Elizabeth, shall make a better match for the Duke than I.

"Je peux seulement espérer," the ambassador replied.

Normally, Amelia would have advocated for Christmastide at Westhorpe. It was quiet and peaceful there, without all the loud people that seemed to populate court. Charles had returned to Suffolk after Katherine's execution, and decided to stay there. Whenever Edward came to visit his son, he would bring all the news that Charles needed to hear.