Protestant Anne of Cleves I

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 31, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: Currently settling into a new semester at college.

For some reason, in the show, the treaty that is presented to the Duke of Cleves includes the idea that Mary would be married to the Duke's eldest son. According to the show, the Duke is Anne's brother, William, who was 22 at the time, and the same age as Mary. His father, John III, died in 1539. If the English envoys had been speaking to John III, then they would have been referring to William.

To make this longer, I also read an excellent theory regarding why Henry and Anne Boleyn only had one child. The theory is that Anne Boleyn had a negative blood type (which was rare) and that Henry had a more common positive one. Since the positive was dominant, his children were also all likely positive. Anne's body would have been exposed to the markers on the cells via the fetus's blood and then created antibodies. It would explain why they only had one child followed by so many miscarriages.

23 September 1538

It seemed as though the King's marital reputation had spread to all of Europe, and there were not many who were willing to send their daughters to be Queen. Christine, much to Amelia's relief, was no longer one of those favored to become the King's next bride. Unfortunately for her, it meant that the King was also no longer considering marriage between Mary and Don Luis, which had made her sister sad.

Amelia's children brought Mary joy, however. They loved her dearly, as much as if she were their own mother.

Mary was slightly jealous of her sister. She was married, happy, and had multiple children. She had exactly what Mary had always desired. Even though she was jealous, she couldn't bring herself to be angry with her sister. She had simply gotten very, very lucky. She could have been married to that vile man George Boleyn.

They now split their time between Westhorpe and court, depending on the King's mood or how deep his paranoia ran. Mary thought the King had very little need to be worried. With Amelia taking care of Edward, and her fierce devotion to all of her children, no one was willing to lay their hands on them.

Besides, even in Mary could barely tell the difference between Eleanor and Edward. They seemed to share the same features. They were each a year old now, and becoming fast friends.

Mary tried to be happy for her sister when she told her that she was pregnant again. Really, she did. But there was still a certain jealousy in her mind that pervaded her thoughts. Why couldn't she have what her sister had?

9 March 1539

Amelia gave birth to a baby girl, named Jane, among the immense panic that had seized all of England over the thought of a joint invasion from Spain and France. She had decided to retire to Westhorpe with her family so that everyone could be a little more at ease. It was no good trying to run a household if everyone was always in a panicked state.

6 May 1539

The news had come from the King himself that they were all safe. The French and Spanish alliance had not lasted very long at all.

The entire family returned to London with smiles on their faces. John and Elizabeth, now both five, had taken to exploring around Westhorpe in the time they were there, even if it was chilly outside and Amelia had told them to stay indoors. They were happy to have the entire palace to explore and wander, and Amelia could have peace of mind that they would not catch their death of cold.

Owen was almost three years old now, and starting to do things for himself. He liked to insist that he didn't need to hold Amelia or Mary's hands when he walked, but almost always held the hands of Eleanor and Edward, who were both still only about a eighteen months old.