Bottom of the Pot

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 38, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: There have been many speculations about Thomas Culpeper and his affair with Katherine Howard. It is suspected that he flirted with her for political reasons. If she believed that they were in love, then she would have most likely shown him favor had Henry died. Keep in mind, Henry was much sicker than the show lets on. Much heavier, too.

I like throwing wrenches in history. Let's keep on doing that.

13 November 1541

"Certain accusations have been made against the Queen," Henry told Charles one day as they played cards.

"What kind of accusations?" Charles asked.

"Oh, that she was light, immoral, dissolute..." he trailed off. "With certain men, before she came to court."

Charles looked at him, an almost pitying expression on his face.

"I can't believe it to be true," Henry replied, shuffling the cards in his hands. "But, since the accusations are made, I must know all the facts." The king leaned forward, his voice lowering. "But since this inquisition is in progress, be careful who you speak to. I'll have no spark of scandal against her name."

"Yes, Your Majesty," Charles replied automatically.

"I have news," Charles told Amelia as they sat down to sup. "The Queen is being investigated for things that she did in her youth."

Amelia simply raised an eyebrow. "You're telling me that a teenager is being investigated for things that she did in her youth, during which she had no parental figures or guidance?"

"What are you trying to say?" Charles asked.

Amelia sighed. "She didn't have anyone to look up to when she was younger," Amelia said. "And she's still young. With the number of children that the Dowager Duchess has in her care, I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of them did something regrettable. I pity Katherine. I don't think she entirely knows what she is doing."

"Were you raised as the Queen was raised?" Charles asked, picking at the food on his plate.

Amelia set her fork down and gave her husband a stern look. "I was not raised as she was," she stated. "She was raised by older girls and boys. I was still raised to be a lady. I was ignored, yes, but the moment I stepped out of line, the Dowager made sure to put me back in my place. What I'm saying is that it does not appear that Katherine had any form of discipline like that, whatsoever."

"And you feel pity for her," Charles concluded.

"Exactly," Amelia said. "She was undisciplined from the very beginning, and now, her lack of discipline threatens to destroy her."

22 November 1541

Amelia's heart broke when she heard that Katherine had been removed as Queen, and she felt especially guilty over this fact when she realized she was also happy. Katherine had gotten what she deserved, a voice said in her head. She was foolish, frivolous, and stupid. She did not deserve the title of Queen, or the duties and responsibilities that came with it.

But on the other hand, she was a child. Anne Boleyn had been a full-grown, adult woman, capable of knowing exactly what she was doing. Katherine was now. When Amelia was sixteen, she had almost no idea what she was doing. She was a naïve, innocent child. But Amelia was older now. She knew that everything she did would be under scrutiny. Sometimes, she knew that it was better to say nothing at all. Katherine simply hadn't known that there were very few people that one could place their trust in