The Death of a Queen I

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 27, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: The historical Charles Brandon had four, almost five, wives. His first wife was Margaret Mortimer née Neville, whom he married in 1507. She was 18 years his senior, and the marriage was annulled the same year and declared void by papal bull on 12 May 1528.

In 1508, he married Margaret's niece Anne Browne, by whom he had two daughters, Anne and Mary. She died in 1511.

He was contracted to marry Elizabeth Grey around 1513 (she was only eight years old at the time), but the contract was later annulled.

He married Mary Tudor, Queen Dowager of France, in May of 1515. She was nineteen years old, and he was about thirty. They had two daughters, Frances and Brandon, who survived to adulthood (Frances later became the mother of Jane Grey, who briefly was Queen), and two sons, both named Henry, who died young. She died in June of 1533.

In September 1533, fourty-nine-year-old Charles married fourteen-year-old Catherine Willoughby. They had a happy marriage, which produced two sons, Henry and Charles, who both died on 14 July 1551 from the sweating sickness. Following Charles's death in 1545, Catherine married Richard Bertie.

Charles also had a number of illegitimate children, including Sir Charles Brandon, Frances Brandon, and Mary Brandon.

6 April 1537

Amelia had barely slept the previous night. "I would still have to do it." The words rang through her head the whole night. She hoped the day would never come, and if it did, Charles would change his mind. Amelia thought that Charles's return home would be joyous, since she would tell him that she was with child and they would be happy. Instead, he was being sent back north to indiscriminately slaughter people.

She reminded herself that the King always got what he wanted. He even changed the religion in the kingdom to divorce her mother! If Charles had refused, perhaps he would have lost his head. Either way, someone was going to be sent up north to kill the rebels.

Still, the idea that he would murder his wife and children at the King's order made her feel sick.

There was a letter sitting on the bed when she return to her chamber, which she looked at with great curiosity. Charles was nowhere to be found, which she had expected.

Dearest Amelia, the letter read.

I am deeply and truly sorry. I have been ordered to return to the north this morning. I was up all night thinking about what I had said, and I wish to take back that statement. If the King ordered me to kill my wife and children, we would run. Anywhere in the world, I'd run.

I was married three times before we were married. First to Margaret Mortimer, which was declared void. Then, to Anne Browne, until her death. Lastly, to Mary, the Queen Dowager of France. In the time I spent in the north, I reflected on my own life, and I realized that most of the happy times I can remember are with you and our children.

I love you, Amelia, more than I have loved anyone before. I can't bear the thought of losing you or John or Owen, or even Elizabeth, Mary, or our unborn child. You are my family, and I would sooner flee to a foreign country where I don't know the language or culture than kill you for the love of an earthly sovereign.

I don't ask for your blessing to do what I am ordered to do, but please, Amelia, don't send me with your curse.

With all the love I have to give,

Charles

Fresh tears fell from Amelia's eyes.

9 May 1537