Death of a Monarchy and Epilogue

Fanfic: An Endless Supply of Rubies Ch 42, Tudors | FanFiction

A/N: In history, Charles Brandon passed away suddenly and quietly on 22 August 1545. In real life, Charles did not have a French mistress. His final wife, Catherine Willoughby, was reportedly by his side the entire time, and mourned his death until her own in 1580. After Charles's death, Catherine went on to marry Richard Bertie, a member of her household who shared her beliefs as a reformer. It was rumored that King Henry VIII had considered taking Catherine Willoughby as a seventh wife.

I'm going to mess around a little bit and make Henry see all three of his wives on the same day.

After the new year, Charles had decided to retire from public life, and the King had allowed him to do so. After all, Charles was sixty years old. Amelia went with him back to Westhorpe, where they stayed together as a family.

Life had been peaceful since then. Charles helped teach the children as best he could. He began to teach the older boys how to handle swords and daggers, and helped everyone with dancing lessons by demonstrating waltzes with Amelia.

They lived in peace, and Amelia was content to remain with Charles in the English countryside until the Lord decided that it was time for him to leave.

She kept in contact with her sister and the Queen, writing to them frequently. Mary had written to tell her that she was pregnant again, and confident that this time, she would give her husband the son that she thought he deserved. The Queen wrote to update Amelia on her father's health and other happenings in the kingdom. Other than the Queen and Mary, Amelia had little contact with anyone else in the kingdom.

Then, one day, Charles developed a fever, and took to his bed. Fearing the worst, he summoned the priests to perform his last rites, as Amelia dabbed his forehead with a cool cloth, tears filling her eyes.

The next morning, he was gone. Amelia cried more, unable to control her tears. Charles had been the first person she had ever met when she had returned to England. He had been her best friend, her lover, and her confidant. Charles had been the one that she treasured and trusted above all others. And now, he was gone. There was change in the air for Amelia. She was a widow now, and terrified of what might happen to her next.

Charles asked for a private funeral in his will, a small and intimate service with Amelia, his children, and a few others. He had been a relatively private person, and the idea suited him well. However, Amelia was informed that the King would be taking over the plans for the funeral. Instead of a quiet burial, Charles would have a procession worthy of a king, and would be buried in St. George's Chapel at Windsor, at the King's expense.

Edward Seymour had attended Charles's funeral in place of the King. Amelia stood as strongly as she could muster, despite the crippling sadness that had taken hold of her. Only afterwards, when Edward came to give his condolences, did she collapse into his arms, sobbing over the loss of her closest friend. Edward did nothing more than hold her, which made her feel comforted.

Afterwards, she was relieved of most of her duties as a daughter of the King. She was excused when the French Admiral came to visit. But eventually, she knew she would be summoned to court to see her ailing father.

"What are you doing here?" Henry asked, rising from his seat. There, in the doorway, behind the painter, stood the ghost of Catherine of Aragon.

"I have come to see my daughters," Catherine responded. "Why should that surprise you, Henry?"

He walked forward, barely believing his own eyes. Mary and Amelia entered, standing on either side of their mother.

"You have not always been kind to Mary," Catherine said. "I have wept so often to have seen her alone, abandoned by her father. And Amelia, my dear daughter, who you prevented me from meeting when she returned to England. I barely recognize the woman she has grown into, but I am proud of her all the same, even if you are not."