Chapter 2: My Escape

As time slowed I watched my shackles fall from my hands and in the same moment I yanked one of the guards swords off of them and broke my ankle chains. Then when time picked back up I killed that guard and faced the other two. I kept them at swords length as King Minos circled around behind to the two guards left in the room. I grabbed everything of mine on the table, including the knife of Atermis, and used the table cloth as a bag was about to make a jump out the window when I heard the woman give a short loud groan. King Minos and his guards stayed in the place, thinking that jumping out the window will be suicide.

I hacked at the chains that held the woman. She gave me a kind smile before arming herself with one of my knives.

"Out the window", I said pointing behind us. She frowned and spoke in a foreign language. I cursed and grabbed her as I sprinted for the window. Her words were loud and panicked. Guess she didn't love the idea. The window barely had any resistance. We fell into a fountain of water I had spied when they had me at the jailhouse. I made sure she was safely up and ready as I ran to the jailhouse. She made a aggravated noise as she gave chase after me. Sorry, but I'm trying to save strangers and my own life before Minos gets his hands on me. The jailhouse guard was asleep so I kicked him against the brick wall knocking him out. I grabbed his keys and unlocked the cell for the twins.

"Hurry you idiots we need to go", I hissed as they took a tentative step out the cell. Without waiting for an answer I ran from the jailhouse and hurried outside. Guards will be here within a couple of rough seconds. I spotted a stable and made a way to it. The nonnative woman had a horse already and was already leaving for the city. Smart person. Leave and hide, it's what I should have did. I got onto a horse and led another outside for the twins.

I'm being so helpful today. They got on just as the guards came outside. I rammed my heel into the horse's side and it took off. The city would hide me for at least a couple of days before I really needed to leave. It'll do for now. I made a quick ride to town before ditching my horse and headed to one of my regular hiding spots as a child. It was near the sewers that ran underneath the city. Wait, strike that it actually was a part of the sewers. I hurried below ground and followed the pungent smell of crap and garbage. My hiding spot was the less stank part of the place and was encloaked in darkness. To actually be in it you would've to step into the darkness and turn left. I still had my red thick curtain up to hid my light. I plopped down onto the mat and searched for something to eat.

I found some dry meat, stale bread, and six flasks of water. I took a good size bite out of the dry meat and tried to soak the bread with trickles of water. I didn't move right away when I heard movement behind the curtain. I grabbed my knife and turned it where the blade was underneath my arm. A quick flick of my wrist and a precise aim and whoever it is will die. Just need the person to show himself. When I saw a head peek around the curtain I raised my hand only to stop. It was the woman from the castle. Figured she been now left, she looked at me steadily. Her eyes glanced shyly at the food in my hand. I noted the look and handed her the rest of the meat along with a flask of water. She ate greedily and quickly.

"You must be one of the island natives. It's clear you don't speak greek", I said to her. She didn't show not acknowledgement that she knew what I meant. I watched her down the water and pointed to another flask, which I gave her.

"If all the native girls on your island look like you, I might just find me a lover", I spoke quietly. Even though she didn't understand me i didn't want to feel like a creep. I pointed to the mat I was laying on and gestured for her to lay down here as I moved away towards the curtain. She gave me a suspicious look and shook her head.

"Of course, a man had you chained. Sayre use your brain", I chided myself. She probably wouldn't feel comfortable if she thinks I might try something on her during her sleep. I pulled a blade from the bag I had and handed it to her.