Chapter 5: Ares's Gift

I did as Queen Mistual asked and got rest and prepared. If I were to find the moon goddess I'll need to be at my sharpest. I only learned today at a meeting prior to our leave, that Draea will be going with us. She was skilled in tracking and fighting. Of course I didn't mind, but she seemed reluctantly to go. So you know how her mother acted, nearly cut off my head.

"She can't go with two men. It's never been heard of", Sylvia shrieked at the Queen who gave her a gentle gaze. I would've have her thrown into a horse manure cell instead, but she is the Queen.

"Sayre here has sworn that no harm from him or any of his companions will befall her. And he'll do his best to protect her if a fight comes. Besides Draea has proven herself a skilled fighter,  do you doubt it", the Queen said. Sylvia closed her eyes and took a deep breath before turning to me.

"Make sure my daughter gets back her. I don't want a single strand of her on her head missing. Do you understand me",

"I understand Advisor Sylvia. I will make sure your daughter gets back her safely no matter my condition",

Sylvia must have heard my serious tone, because she didn't continue to provoke the topic. The three of us stood inside of the throne room and awaited our departure.

I was dressed in my thief's robes and armed with everything I needed. I even made some more bullets for my guns. They were difficult to make. They had found it interesting I shot metal from a small cannon. Darius was dressed back into his regular clothes as well and even found a hefty axe laying around in their armory. Draea had a leather brown shirt on that stopped when it reached her stomach and then tightened so it would fit and leather brown pants. She worn closed in toes sandals, with a sword I couldn't place. It was some what slightly curved and sharp. Her hair was braided on her back which sufficed to make her look even prettier. We were ready to leave.

"As soon as you walk behind those walls I won't be able to shield you from the gods that want that blade. Or others who seek to see who you are. You will be on your own until you find Atermis. Find her and she'll protect you", I nearly blurted out how she was going to help us when we have to help her. But I kept quiet.

"And you leave us with our hopes and prayers", Sylvia added. I nodded.

"There will be horses waiting for you outside. The last lead we had was in Ethiopia. And there you'll meet one of Procrustes old solider. He had escaped his grasp not to long ago. Maybe he knows where Procrustes keep prisoners or at least where he lays his head at night. His name is Oderus Jokova. He is a dark skinned man with brown eyes and old gray hair, and there is a cut on his face in the shape of a star. Good luck and I wish you a safe return", the Queen she bringing one arm to her chest and bowing. We mimicked the bow and left the Amazonian people. To a place we never been before. A piece of cake,...right?

~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤~¤

The journey to Ethiopia was going to long and hard. My back side was hurting from the horse's steady running, I had half a mind to walk the rest of the estimated 13 kilometers. We stayed quiet for most of the journey. I could sense that Draea was keeping silent because she didn't really know how to talk to men. Darius seemed to be brooding but I could just be his expression, I didn't really know him like that. And most of I was the only affected by the silence.

"Anyone want to guess on this riddle", I asked trying to bring some laughter in the heat. We were nearing mountains and there was a pass we would have to go through to reach Ethiopia.

"Darius try", the giant piped up, seeing my direction towards this.

"I have been there before the day of creation, I have no face, I'm reborn everyday. What am i", I said smiling. I watched Darius fidget with that one. Draea opened her mouth only to close it again.