New Creature

I stood in the meadow, frightened. Laurent stood there licking his lips as he pounced towards me. I held up my arms in protest, but naturally they weren't much of a defense against a vampire. I felt his teeth sink into my left arm, my blood rushed into his mouth. Without Edward, there wasn't anything that I could think of living for. I stopped fighting and let death come to me. Everything started going black when I heard Laurent stop feeding.

I barely managed to whisper, "What," before I noticed six wolves entering the meadow. No, they couldn't be wolves, they were as big as horses. The one wolf looked at me and bowed his head, I could have sworn he shed a tear. Oh great, not only was I going to be killed by a vampire, my remains were going to be eaten by freakishly large wolves. But the wolves, all of them, strutted past me and focused on Laurent. I tried crawling as far from the meadow as I could get, but the pain was starting to become unbearable.

I found a tree stump that was leaning against another tree, low to the ground. I crawled in the hollowed log not daring to make a sound. I laid there in what felt like a fiery blaze though and I was amazed that my surroundings weren't burning as well. The internal fire started from Laurent's bite and quickly spread throughout my body. I was completely immobile from the pain now. In the far distance I heard screams of pain and death, and I silently hoped that the wolves caught Laurent. But then I thought, what if it was one of the wolves that was being killed. Even though the wolves probably would have eaten me, they still saved my life, in a twisted sort of way.

My heartbeat was steady, but it too was burning with every beat. I tried thinking through the pain, since I had often heard that captives often thought of their happy place when they were being tortured. My happy place. I allowed my mind to think through my memories, what made me happy? Edward. I remembered how happy and alive I felt when I was with him. I really was happy then. He was too perfect for me and yet, he wanted me. But he doesn't want me anymore. He made it very clear when he left me in the forest. I died that day. If it wasn't for the pain, I might have chuckled at the irony that my heart and now my body both died on the ground in the forest. Okay time to get out of my happy place.

I stayed in the log, thinking of Charlie. I was sad that we were finally getting close, and I was going to have to leave him for good. I remembered the time when I left Forks to get away from James, my father was heartbroken. In my fear, the only way I knew that he could let me go was to tell him the very hurtful things that my mom told him when she left. It hurt the both of us, but at the time it was the only way I could think of to protect Charlie. What would I do this time? What could I possibly tell him?

The pain still seared through my body, but I wouldn't even dare open my eyes to see how much time went by. I noticed small little changes in my body with the time passing. For instance, I could hear farther in every direction. There were two hikers in the area. Their blood flowed freely in the veins and I could smell them. They smelled delicious, but I knew if I was going to do this, I was going to be vegetarians like them. I was thinking 'them' because they left me. I didn't care that Edward told them to. They left me! If Edward had a problem, he should have left. But no, they all left me, and if they hadn't I would have still been weak, fragile, human, Bella. None of this would have happened. But what was I going to do now that it had?

My heart sped up like a horse in a race. It galloped until poof, it lost its breathe. I slowly backed out of my hiding spot. I had no idea how long I was hiding there but I felt glad for my temporary home. It was as if I was a hermit crab, chuckle the thought. I glanced around the forest and noticed colors that I'd never seen before. I was amazed at the sound the wind made as it blew past the leaves. I immediately crouched down as the scent of something filled my lungs. I listened and heard some bushes rustling to the west and I took off. The speed at which I ran was so exhilarating. I had often ridden on his back while he ran, but to realize that I was the one doing the running, it just blew my mind. I leaped in the air and landed on a branch. The mountain lion didn't even notice I had taken perch on his branch, until he felt my teeth sink into its neck. The blood flowed into my mouth and I felt satisfied once I drained him dry. I dragged the carcass back to my log and stuffed the body in there.