Back to Forks

My mind was swirling in so many different directions. I didn't know which way was up. Part of me wanted to run up to him and kiss him all over, but knowing that he didn't love me anymore, I could never allow myself to do that. I thought of forgiving him, and hating him. Should I be mad at Alice for setting this up? After all she kept it from me that he was here, and she even changed my clothes to his favorite shade of blue. God! Why didn't I see it then? He made a step towards me, and instinctively I got out of my chair and spun around. My feet kept moving and I didn't tell them to stop. I ran at a normal pace out of the side doors of the cafeteria and headed towards the parking lot. I had my keys in hand and I drove towards my apartment. I didn't know how else to deal with Edward.

. Here? Alone in my apartment, I still didn't know how to process that Edward was in Portland. Was this the loose ends that Alice had said that she needed to tie up? How could she? I felt betrayed and excited at the same time. I did the only thing I could think of. I grabbed my cell phone and sent Alice a text message, asking her if she could send Jasper to my apartment. But before I could press send, she sent me one saying he was on the way. Without even realizing it, I was pacing the length of my living room when finally the doorbell rang.

I opened the door and saw three vampires standing on my stoop. Jasper was in the lead followed by Alice and her pleading eyes, and Edward, who very smartly kept his head down. "I didn't mean for all of you to come. I just needed Jasper to calm me down so I can think."

"Oh I see how it is Bella, you just want to use me?" Jasper said with a smile that slightly imitated Edwards crooked one. He was trying to lighten the tension and it worked because I noticed I was in a defensive posture anymore. I felt his gift soothing me over and doing exactly what I wanted him to do. I opened the door wider so that they could enter. Edward paused before walking in the apartment, never taking his eyes off of me. "Why are you guys here? You have school."

"So do you Bella?" Alice said.

"Yeah well it's not my first day," I pointed out.

"We've been here before." Edward decided to chime in the conversation. I still wasn't sure if I should look at him, he had a tendency to dazzle me when I looked at his eyes.

"Bella, I hope you can forgive me. It's just that I, well, all of us really, saw how much you meant to each other and the love that you two shared rivaled me and Jasper's, and Rose with Emmett, and Carlisle and Esme. You two were made for each other. " How could I possibly stay mad at her, I thought of everything she did to get me and Edward in the same room, of course I forgave her. "You two still love each other."

I looked first at Alice, then Edward, who was steadily looking at me. I was fully aware that the entire time he was here he was staring at me.

Alice whispered to Jasper, only with my vampire ears, I heard her say, "They need some time alone." The two vampires shuffled out of the apartment leaving me and Edward standing on opposite sides of the living room.

The silence was so thick between us and it seemed to last forever before Edward finally said something. "Bella, I only left because I thought you deserved a chance at a normal life. A life you wouldn't have if I stayed around. With me around, you were constantly in danger."

"Yeah, cause I did so much better without you? Edward look at me, I had no one to protect me and I became a vampire. I'm a vampire now!" I had no idea how thick the walls were and I hoped that Alice had the foresight to find me a place with thick walls.

"But it felt like the right thing to do at the time Bella. I've always wanted to be with you, coming to the decision to leave you was the hardest thing I'd ever had to do. I never meant for anything like this to happen." He took a few steps closer to me in vampire speed, and was instantly in front of me. "I've missed your touch and your scent."

"You left me, while you were in love with me. You took my things. How could you?" I stepped away from him. Being in close proximity with him was too much to bear. "Edward, when you left, I broke down. I was a zombie, an empty shell. You did that."

"I won't leave your side, I promise. I'd die before I'd let you stay out of my life." His hand caressed my arm and he brought my hand to his lips. I closed my eyes welcoming the gesture. It was too long since I felt his lips. He pulled me tighter as his lips found my neck. Edward left a trail of kisses all the way to my lips and I allowed him to kiss me, while I kissed him back. I wrapped my arms around his head as our kiss intensified.

I broke the kiss and backed away from him again. Edward stood there, confused. There were still too many things that were left unsaid and I couldn't afford to be dazzled by Edward. "You can't just come back into my life and think everything will come back to you so easily. I died the day you left, Laurent simply accelerated the process."

"Laurent? What does—he was the one that did this to you?" I could see the rage emerge in his eyes. "I'll kill him."

"Victoria sent him. She never forgot about me and when Laurent doesn't show up, she'll try to find me." Oh no why didn't I think of that before. "Charlie. I have to go back to Forks."