Five

Grace

Taylor seemed surprised when I said I didn't know who she was.

Why should I know? She's just a person, it'd be weird if I knew her.

Plus, I wasn't ever really allowed outside, only to go to the car if we were moving somewhere.

"Do you like to listen to music?" Taylor asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows.

I thought about that for a moment. Mommy never let me listen to the radio or anything like that, but she sang to me.

"Mommy sings to me," I said quietly.

I didn't want to tell this woman too much, I didn't know if I could trust her or not.

"Let's talk about your mom. What does she look like?" Taylor asked.

I shuddered. She looked exactly like Taylor.

"You," I said as quietly as possible.

"She looks like me?" Taylor asked, clearly confused.

I nodded.

"Is that a good thing or..?" Taylor questioned, carefully placing her words.

I didn't want Taylor to get mad at me, so I stayed quiet.

"You seem to shut down whenever we talk about her. How well do you guys get along?" Taylor asked.

I stayed quiet.

If Taylor knew that my mom was dead, and she used to abuse me, then what would she do? Would she send me away?

"Okay, I can tell that you don't want to talk about her, so what about your other family? Do you have a dad or any siblings?"

I nodded.

"Tell me about them," Taylor suggested.

"My daddy went away," I said as quietly as I could.

She looked concerned.

"And where'd he go?" She asked.

"To the militawy," I said.

"Oh! So your dad is a soldier?" She asked.

I nodded.

"Okay, so he's deployed somewhere, and you were home with your mom, right?" Taylor questioned.

I nodded.

"So how exactly did you end up outside my door?"

I contemplated. I wanted to tell her everything, but I knew she would hurt me just like Mommy did. And if she found out that my mom was dead... Who knows what she would do.

"Mommy huwt me."

Taylor's face instantly changed from confusion to shock.

"Sh-she hurt you? What do you mean?" She asked frantically.

I stopped for a moment before turning around so my back was facing her and lifting up my shirt.

I heard her gasp.

"Did she..." Taylor started. It sounded like she might cry. "Did she do that to you?"

I assumed she was talking about my scars, so I nodded.

"I'm sowwy," I said quietly, with my head down.

"No, no. Don't be sorry. You didn't do anything," she said, tears streaming down her cheeks.

She extended her arms and grasped me in her arms, and I tensed up immediately.

"Sowwy."

"Honey, please don't say sorry. It's not your fault. It's hers. Now, where is she? Does she know where you are? I want to keep you safe so I'm going to call the police and Child Protective Services. This isn't okay," Taylor said.

"Mommy is at home."

"And does she know that you're here?" She asked.

"No."

"Well, I'll go make a quick phone call, okay?" Taylor said as she got up and walked towards the bedroom door.

"You dow't have to," I whispered.

Taylor turned around before reaching the doorway.

"What did you say?" Taylor asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Nothing."

"Alright sweetie," she said. "I'll be right back."

I sighed as she left the room.

I heard her say something to the person on the other end of the line, I'm assuming it was a police officer.

"No, I don't know where she lives... No, I can't bring her to your office. I'm Taylor Swift, and I don't want to sound annoying but do you know how bad the rumors would be if I took a kid into a police station?... Can you just run her name through the system or something and find out where she lives? It's probably somewhere close by, she was outside of my house... Thank you... Okay... Call me when you get an answer... Bye."

I walked out the door to where Taylor was just as she was hanging up.

"Hey Grace, do you know what your address is? It would really help the police find your mom. She deserves to be locked up," Taylor said.

I shook my head.

"Well, if we went out to my car and drove around would you be able to show me how to get there?" She asked.

I remembered how I got here, because I only took a few turns before walking down the road for a long time. If she drove, I would be able to get back to my house.

But if I brought her to my house, she'd find my mother, dead on the kitchen floor.

I looked straight into Taylor's eyes.

"Grace, I need to know if you could show me to your house. It's for your safety. Would you be able to show me?"

"Yes."

-----

Vote ++ comment opinions please!!