Nineteen

Grace

I woke up that morning alone, which was a bit strange. Usually either Taylor, Tom, or both would stay in the room, doing work on their phones or watching TV until I was awake. But that morning both of them weren't there.

I furrowed my eyebrows and hopped down from the bed, my feet landing on the hard floor with a soft thud.

I padded towards the door, which was left ajar. I slowly moved towards the staircase, and heard Taylor's soft voice downstairs.

I proceeded to move downstairs, as I was both hungry and I wanted to say good morning to Taylor and Tom.

I smiled as I saw Tom sitting on the couch, and ran to him and jumped on his lap.

He managed a small smile back, and hugged me.

"Good morning, princess," he greeted softly. He sounded a bit different than usual, both I didn't think too much of it.

"Good mowning," I said back cheerily. "Where's Taywor?"

Tom inhaled sharply. "She's, well, she's on the phone." He didn't make eye contact with me as he responded.

I started to write up off of the couch to find Taylor, but Tom stopped me.

"I think it's best you let her finish her conversation before you say good morning to her," he said quickly.

"Why?"

"Well," he started. "It's important, so I just think she needs to be focused."

I furrowed my eyebrows, but listened nonetheless.

A few minutes later, I heard a heavy sigh from the kitchen, then soft feet walk towards Tom and I.

Taylor emerged from the doorway, rubbing her eyes. She had heavy bags under them, and looked very, very tired.

When she saw me, her lips immediately tightened to a forced smile.

"Good morning, Grace," her voice sounded a bit sad.

I ran over to her and threw my arms around her legs.

"Good mowning!" I cheered.

Taylor smiled another tight smile down at me, then reached down and picked me up.

"Do you wanna know something fun?" She asked after a moment.

"What?" I asked, excited.

"It's December, which means Christmas is close!" She excitedly told me.

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Oh, Grace," she started. "Don't tell me you don't know what Christmas is!"

"I know what it is," I said quietly. "I just nevew was allowed to celebwate it because Mommy said I didn't desewve it."

She had another sad look on her face. "Well, how about we go out to the kitchen and I'll help you make a Christmas list, okay? I always have a big Christmas party with all of my friends, and after they leave, Santa comes and brings you some of the things you ask for!"

I smiled. "Okay! Who is coming to your pawty this yeaw?"

"Well, of course Ed, Karlie, and Selena are coming, and we'll also have Gigi, Zayn, Lily, Todrick, my brother Austin, Louis and Niall will probably come as well, Shawn, and many more!" She listed off the people with excitement in her voice.

I smiled again.

She led me into the kitchen, where she found a piece of paper and a pencil. Tom came in after us.

We all sat down at the table, Taylor next to me and Tom across from us. She picked up the pencil and at the top of the paper wrote "Grace's Christmas List" in big letters.

"So," she asked. "What things would you like for Christmas?"

I shrugged my shoulders. After thinking for a few seconds, I finally came up with one thing I wanted.

"To see you sing at a show!" I cheered.

Taylor smiled, and wrote that down on the list.

"I don't have any concerts anytime soon, my love. But I'm sure I could plan something just for you," she smiled after saying this.

"What else?"

I remembered that Tom said he was an actor in movies, which led me to my next thought.

"Can I see Tom in a movie?" I asked sheepishly.

Taylor smiled again, and wrote that down too.

"Anything else you want?" She asked again.

I shook my head.

I already had anything I could ever need sitting right before me.