Fifteen

Grace

I thought about what Taylor said.

Maybe one last try was what I needed.

I was in Taylor and Tom's bed, and I was trying hard to fall back asleep. Tom said I could sleep in their room since I had the nightmare.

I wasn't sure why I had that dream.

Taylor wouldn't ever hurt me, and I knew that.

I could hear mumbling from out in the other room, and even though I wanted to go out and be with them, my temporary family, I decided to stay in the bed and try to sleep.

A little while later, soft footsteps entered the room and I felt a body lay down next to me.

"Taylor?" I whispered quietly.

"She's out in the other room," Tom's soft, but deep voice whispered.

I slowly scooter closer to him, until my face was pressed up against his chest.

He seemed a bit tense, but quickly loosened up and wrapped his arms around me.

"What did you and Taylor talk about?" He asked me. "Out on the terrace?"

That's what I liked about Taylor and Tom. They didn't treat me like I was three. They talked to me like a normal person.

"She just told me that she wouldn't huwt me," I said.

"And what did you say back?" He asked gently.

"I said that I know she would never huwt me," I said. "And that I'd give her one last twy."

"One last try?"

I nodded.

"What does that mean?" Tom questioned.

"That she'll twy to make me happy again, and I'll twy to make her happy again," I tried to explain. "I'll giver her one last twy at happiness."

"But when she's with you, she is happy. You don't have to give her another try, because just you being with her makes her whole world shiny and bright," he said.

I shook my head.

"No," I said. "She isn't happy."

I might've been young, but I knew when I looked at someone if they were okay or not.

She wasn't okay.

"Why don't you think she's happy?" He asked. He didn't sound like he believed me.

"She always fwowns," I stated simply. "But mostly when she looks at hew phone."

"Just because she frowns doesn't mean she isn't happy, Grace," he said kindly, like he was trying to help me understand.

I furrowed my eyebrows.

"She towld me," I whispered.

"Told you what?"

"That she wasn't happy."

Tom stayed quiet.

"What did she say, exactly? Do you remember?" He asked after a few moments.

I tried to remember.

"She said that she felt like something scawy was chasing hew," I remembered.

Tom tensed again, then gently sat me up and faced me.

He looked concerned.

"Did she say anything else?"

I nodded slightly. "She said that she knew how I felt to be pushed down evewy time I stood up."

His face grew even more concerned.

"Don't worry too much about her, okay?" He said. "You make her happy, remember that."