Thirty

Grace

Christmas, my very first Christmas, to be exact, was perfect.

Taylor got me incredible gifts, and she seemed to really like my drawing as well. Of course I know that Christmas isn't about presents, but I was still so thankful for everything.

We spent the day together, doing things like visiting her friends, like Karlie and Jack, who were also in New York for Christmas. We listened to Christmas music, danced around in our PJs, and (tried) to put the cats on leashes and take them for walks in the apartment complex lobby. That last one didn't end up working so well.

After our day of Christmas cheer we were beyond tired, and both in severe need of sleep. She picked me up and carried me to my room, where I slept for what felt like an eternity.

Upon waking up, I first realized that it was now the 26th, meaning I had survived my first true Christmas. I heard soft talking coming from the kitchen, I carefully opened my door and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes before siting down at the top of the stairs and trying to hear what the voices were saying. It sounded like Taylor, which wasn't surprising, but someone else was here too.

In fact, I was almost certain I heard three voices, Taylor's along with two others.

As I strained my ears to try and identify the other voices, I realized that one of them was Karlie. The other voice, also a woman's, was unrecognizable.

I moved down a few steps as quietly as possible, growing increasingly more curious as I heard more.

"About how much longer do you think the process will take?" Taylor asked.

"Considering most of the process is already complete, I'd say two weeks. I know the past months have been tricky, but your patience has been a big help." The unrecognizable voice said.

I furrowed my eyebrows. Since I hadn't heard the beginning of the conversation, I was completely lost.

I walked further down the stairs and reached the bottom step as Karlie said, "I'm so happy for you, Tay. This will be everything you and her have ever wanted."

I quickly made my way into the kitchen, where Taylor, Karlie, and the woman with dark brown hair stared at me. Taylor and Karlie both made their best efforts of making a straight face, but I could tell that their eyes were alive and excited.

"G'mornin," I said sleepily.

"Good morning, lovely. How are you today?" Taylor said while giving mea quick kiss on the top of my head.

"Tired," I responded. "But good."

All three of the women sitting at the table smiled.

"Oh, and Grace," Karlie said suddenly. "This is Mrs. Andrews. She's a lawyer."

I waved to Mrs. Andrews, the unrecognizable voice who now had a name.

Taylor

Grace came down, which was exactly why I had Karlie here. Karlie made an excuse to go down to the music room and play with Grace, keeping her occupied.

Mrs. Andrews and I finished up or chat and she headed back home, and I headed down to the music room to play with my best friend and my baby.

I had hoped all of the paperwork I was working on with Mrs. Andrews would be done by Christmas, but the two week estimate she had given me would have to work.

Ahhh sorry for not updating!! I've been having a bit of writers block. But after reading through some comments and direct messages, I think I have an idea for how this story will go!

and as for all the lawyer and paperwork stuff mentioned in this chapter, I will be going much farther into depth with what it all means in the next chapter... stay tuned.

— Alice