Eight

Grace

Taylor told me that her friends were even nicer than her.

If that's true, I think I'll like her friends a lot!

I reluctantly came out from under the table, still a bit nervous that one of them, or all of them, might hurt me.

I reached up for Taylor's hand, grabbing onto her fingers, and squeezing them tightly.

I walked with her into the living room, and stopped by Taylor's leg.

"Hi sweetie!" The woman, who's name I think is Selena, said.

I forced a smile back at her.

"Sorry, she's a bit shy around new people," Taylor said.

"Well, you are very adorable," another blonde woman said.

"So this is Ed, Selena and Karlie. Do you think you can remember their names?" Taylor asked me.

I nodded.

Ed kneeled down of the floor.

"Are you excited to go shopping?" He asked in a funny voice.

I giggled, and smiled.

"Well then," Taylor said. "I guess we should go."

We all went out to her car, and Taylor and Karlie got in the front seat, leaving me sitting between Ed and Selena in the back.

"So, Miss Grace," Selena started. "What is your favorite color?"

"Puwple."

"That's a very pretty color," Ed said back.

"I like your haiw," I said to him.

"Why thank you," he said then did a hair flip.

I giggled.

We arrived at the shopping mall not long after, and we all got out of the car.

Taylor grabbed one of my hands, and Ed grabbed the other.

"Where should we go first?" Taylor asked.

"There!" Selena squealed and pulled us all into a store.

All of them started looking around the store, and I followed closely behind Ed.

I still had a firm grip on his fingers, and I had let go of Taylor's hand so she could go shop around.

Ed and I looked at a few different shirts, and when we went over to where the rest of them were, Taylor had her arms full with clothes.

"Which of these do you like?" She asked.

I pulled out a purple dress and a pink one, and also a few skirts and tops that I liked.

Karlie smiled.

"Good choice."

We paid and went around to a few more stores before deciding that we were all too tired to continue.

We got back in the car and went back to Taylor's house.

I ran up to Taylor's room to find Meredith and Olivia, and when I couldn't, I went back downstairs.

"Should we get you changed now, so you don't have to wear that big sweatshirt?" Taylor asked.

I nodded, and she brought the bags of clothes up to her room.

I was glad none of the others came, I didn't want them to see my scars.

I quickly put on a skirt and a shirt, dressing as fast as I could so Taylor couldn't ask about the scars any more.

"Babe..." Taylor started.

I already knew where this was going.

"I know you've only been here a day, but do you want to stay the night with me? So we don't have to take you to an orphanage?" She asked.

I nodded softly.

"But tomorrow..." She said, clearly unsure of her words. "We have to take you to the police station to try and contact your father. We have to let him decide what happens to you."

I looked at my toes. I didn't want to stay with another family that hurt me.

"No matter what, even if he chooses to have you stay somewhere else, I won't let anyone hurt you. I promise," Taylor said.

I nodded, and grabbed Taylor's hand and walked with her back downstairs.

"There's my little cutie!" Selena gushed.

I ran over to her, and extended my arms up, wanting her to pick me up.

Once I was in her arms, I started twirling her long, dark hair around my fingers, resting my head on her shoulders.

"Hey, Grace, do you mind if I take a picture of you two? My fans would love to see you," Taylor asked me.

"Okay," I said back. I didn't mind if she posted pictures of me.

I wrapped my arms around Selena's neck, and squished my face up next to hers, then smiled at Taylor.

She flashed a picture, then typed something onto her phone.

I put my head back on Selena's shoulder, still playing with her soft hair.

I guess I must have fell asleep while doing so, because I woke up in an unfamiliar bed in an unfamiliar room.

I started to get scared.

I felt tears roll down my cheeks. Where was I? Where were Taylor and her friends?

Did they leave me? Just like my dad did?

More tears poured down.

I padded over to the door and opened it, then noticed I was by Taylor's room, so I walked downstairs.

I heard conversation, so I sped up and walked towards the living room.

They were all lounging on couches, and I ran to Taylor as fast as I could, wiping the tears away.

"Honey, what's wrong?" She asked, concerned.

"I... Thought... You... Left... Me..." I said between hiccups.

Karlie awed.

"Baby, it's okay. We're still here," Selena said.

I slowly stopped crying, and walked to Karlie and gave her a big hug, sitting in her lap.

"Kawlie?" I asked quietly.

"What is it?" She asked back.

"I like you."

"Well, I like you too," she said, giggling.

"I like you too, Ed," I said, turning towards him.

"I like you too, Grace."

"And Selena, too. And Taylor," I added.

They were all smiling. I continued to sit on Karlie's lap while the others continued their conversation, something about music or songs or something like that.

I wasn't really listening.