1

Ashton sat across from Jude at the diner. They agreed that once Ashton graduated, they hadn't seen much of each other, so they decided to make time. Jude already knew what she was getting as she sat in the booth, looking at the menu was a waist of time.

"Alright, can I bring something up?" Ashton asked.

"Sure," Jude laughed.

"Is there any possible way to convince Luke to go with us?"

Jude sighed. After learning about the offer, Luke was dead set that he would not go and attend a college for hockey. He had his whole life planned out, still awaiting the day he got a letter from any college that would accept him on to their team. He didn't care which, that was just all he wanted to do. Ashton, Michael, and Calum tried to get him to change his mind or even think about leaving with them, but Luke only argued that giving up hockey would be like giving up Jude; a nightmare.

"He always gets angry when I bring it up. I asked him about it... multiple times, but he is dead set on hockey," Jude explained.

"Damnit," Ashton sighed. "I don't know if we can do it with out him."

"You might have to... Or find someone else to sing for you," she suggested.

They spent their whole time at dinner trying to come up with ways to get Luke to consider the offer. Jude knew how much he loved guitar and singing, it was something he would not shut up about. Their band meant everything to him, so why he was denying this offer was beside her. She understood his love for hockey, she felt the same way about it. But success was just before him, quite possibly in bright lights. To give that up would be insanity.

Luke came over that night, ready to work on homework. Jude had other plans. She wanted to bring it up to him again. She wanted him to see what an amazing opportunity it would be.

"Luke," Jude said softly.

"Hmm?" He asked, focused on his work.

"Will you please hear me out," Jude asked.

"Okay?" He looked up at her, confused.

"About the band," she begun.

"Jude, I don't want to talk about this."

"Luke, please... Just listen-"

"Did Ashton put you up to this?" He asked, getting angry once more.

"Not exactly," Jude she answered honestly.

"It's a yes or no question," Luke rolled his eyes.

"No, we both agreed that we should talk to you."

"So you're taking his side?"

"Yes! I don't think you understan-"

"I understand Jude, I get it! But I want to play hockey! Are you seriously going to tell me not to follow my dreams?"

"You're giving up something that's happening for a what if! You don't even know if you've gotten in to any of the schools you applied for! What if you don't get in? What if you do, but don't get put on the team!"

"Are you saying i'm not good enough?" Luke stood up.

"That's not what I'm saying at all Luke, you know that!" She defended herself.

"What if I do?" Luke asked. "You want me to give up something I truly want to do because there's an easier choice?"

"No, it's not that it's easy. It's because you're good, you will be next to your best friends, have an opportunity not everyone gets! You love music, Luke. I know you do. You're gonna look at your best friends and see that you made a mistake not going with them. Just because you wont be on a hockey team doesn't mean you'll give it up all together. You can still play!"

"I can't do this anymore," Luke shook his head. He started picking his books up from the couch.

"Why are you getting so angry about this?" She asked. She knew the answer; he was Luke.

"I don't need this, and I don't need you!" Luke spat. He started to walk towards the stairs.

"What, you're breaking up with me?" Jude scoffed, getting up as well.

"Yeah," Luke said casually.

"You're joking right?" Jude was in awe. He stopped before the stairs, but didn't turn to her. "Luke, tell me you're not serious."

"You obviously don't respect me... or my decisions, and I don't need that right now," Luke said softly.

"Luke..." She couldn't believe this was happening. "You're breaking up with me over this? You need to calm down and think this through."

"I am calm," He turned around. She hoped that he would notice all of the hurt that was slapped across her face. "You chose their side."

"Who's side-"

"Ashton, Calum, and Michael. You won't just be happy for me or support me for what i'm doing, what I want. I've had too much of that in my life and I don't need you to be the millionth person. I thought you would be different, but I was wrong."

Jude was speechless as she watched Luke walk up the stairs, leaving her alone and heartbroken.

––––––––

Three weeks later.

Luke walked into the house wanting nothing but to sit and watch TV. Ashton walked into the kitchen where Luke sat, eating food after his long day at school.

"The offer is still up," Ashton explained. "We leave tomorrow.."

Luke only flipped him off, making Ashton sigh in defeat. Ashton walked away and Luke glanced at the counter. He just now realized the mail had come in. He got up quickly and looked through them all to see the three schools he applied for all got back to him. He brought them over to the table with shaking hands and ripped them all open at once. He closed his eyes for a second and took a deep breath before looking.

"Alright," he said quietly to himself. He glanced over each of the letters he received.

Denied.

Denied.

Denied.

He felt as though he was going to throw up. He got in to none of them? How could that possibly be? He crumpled the papers and threw them across the room. He wanted to flip the table as hard as he could, but knew his aunt would not appreciate it. His chest hurt at the thought.

He sat and thought for thirty minutes. He couldn't believe himself, but he finally got to his feet and walked towards Ashton's room. The door opened up by the force of his knock. Ashton had suitcases on his floor that were filled with clothes.

"What's up?" Ashton asked, standing in the middle of the mess of it all.

"I'll go."

------

AN:: ITS ONLY JUST BEGUUUUNNNN