19| Boxed Chocolates

It was valentines day. Marinette stood at the front of the steps to the school, a lime green box clutched tightly in her grasp. Her legs quivered as she faced the ground in embarrassment. She was going to do it. She was going to confess her feelings to her one and only. Even if she stumbled. Even if he didn't like her that way. She was going to tell him.

   "Marinette!" She could hear an awfully familiar voice echoing her way.

   It was Alya, running towards her with a crinkled, plastic wrapping firmly clenched in her right hand. It was filled with chocolates and confectionary and tied around the tip was a red, gyrated bow. Marinette pointed to them in surprise.

   "Who are they for?" She questioned.

   Alya blankly lifted her hand and pointed to the packet. 

   "They're for Nino." She ended her sentence with a jeering sigh. "Since he's my boyfriend, it only makes sense." 

   Alya curved the ends of her lips into a grin and chuckled quietly.

   "Speaking of boyfriends, how's it going with Adrien?" She pried, leaning forward.

   Marinette turned red as she buried her face into the surface of the small, box. She bit her bottom lip and tightened her grip, creasing the outlining cardboard. Her feet shuffled nervously as her gaze was rigid shut. Alya tittered as she displayed her gleaming teeth, placing a hand on Marinette's shoulder.

   "Girl, you'd better get in quick, you won't have a chance to talk to him with all the girls in the school with their eyes on him." She egged, giving a quick thumbs up. "I'll be cheering for you!"

   Marinette pushed the box down as she revealed her bluebell eyes. They glimmered in the sun's tepid rays as she smiled slightly.

   "Thanks, Alya." She spoke, her voice muffled from the box.

   Alya leant in and wrapped her arm around her neck, pulling her into a friendly hug and letting her go. They both walked into the school, smiles beaming on their faces. In front of them was a condescending blonde, snapped into a snobby pose and tapping rapidly on her phone. Beside her was a redhead wearing thick-brimmed glasses and stood in a weary pose. She glared as she saw the pair of them heading up the steps. Then, her spite turned to contentment as she smiled widely.

   "Adri-Honey!" She shrieked, darting down the stairs and rushing past Marinette, causing her to stumble and fall.

   Chloe began her comments of admiration as Adrien pushed the black door of the car close. He frowned as he came in eye contact with Chloe. He began to step around her when he noticed Marinette sat on the ground, wincing. He jogged over to the bluenette and offered his hand in support. Marinette was flushed as she tilted her head to find Adrien at her aid.

   "Are you alright?" He spoke with a concerned tone.

   Marinette slipped the box into her pocket as she pushed herself off of the ground, refusing his gesture. 

   "I'm fine, thanks." Her gaze was fixed on the concrete steps in front of her as she marched over to Alya, dragging her into the school building.

   Marinette exhaled in exhaustion as she leant against the solid wall of the school. She held her chest as she closed her eyes, she could feel the pounding upon her ribs as an ache swelled in her mind. Alya raised an eyebrow as she folded her tan arms.

   "Girl, what's the matter with you?" She queried, pouting her lips in dismay.

   Marinette shuffled her feet in uncertainty, fiddling with her fingers and facing the cold, tiled ground. She didn't want to meet her stern gaze.