21| No Puns, I'm Upset

Supposedly, Adrien had a girlfriend. Nobody knew who it was, or if it was even true, but nobody had the guts to confront him about it. Chloe claimed she was his girlfriend, but everyone knew that was an obvious lie.

   Marinette felt her heart sink as she heard the rumours travel around the school. She didn't think it was true, but then again, he could get any girl he wanted. He was that entrancing. Marinette sighed as Alya rubbed her back, a sympathetic glance attached to her eyes as she half-smiled. 

   "Girl, I'm going to go ask him about it," she blurted out as Marinette's eyes widened.

   "No, don't! I mean, please don't, Alya," she pleaded, tangling her fingers together as she stared up at Alya.

   The auburn-haired girl sighed as she posed her hand to her forehead, staring down at the bluenette, taking note of her hopeful gaze. 

   "Fine. But, girl, even if he does, you won't take no for an answer," she ordered as she pointed her finger.

   Marinette slightly nodded, hesitantly as she continued to walk home. At the crossroads, Alya and Marinette bid their farewells as Marinette darted to the Dupain-Cheng bakery. Inside was her father, who wore a white apron and balanced in his hand was a tray of savoury sweets, and her mother, who awaited customers at the counter.

   "I'm back, maman, papa!" she spoke with an excited facade draped over her depressed emotions as she fled to her room.

   Her parents nodded and waved as she left.

   Once through her trap door, she closed it shut and stepped, zombie-like, over to her pink-laced couch. She flopped onto the cushioned surface as she bounced a little before coming to a halt. She sighed as she thought about Adrien and his new girlfriend. She stayed like that for a little as she closed her eyes and pouted, her companion, Tikki, trying her best to console her.

   A few minutes later, a thunder of loud screams pleaded desperately for the famous superheroes, Chat Noir and Ladybug. Marinette didn't really feel up to it, but she had to. It was her duty. She grunted as she stood and transformed, lacking enthusiasm. She sprung through her trapdoor and waded through the sky with her yo-yo latching onto tall buildings. She'd finally made it to the scene and noticed Chat Noir was already there. She clicked her tongue in disgust, not wanting to have to deal with Chat's puns and flirting. Ladybug ran towards Chat and the akumatised civillian as she automatically began attacking, wanting everything to be over and done with.

   "Purr-fect timing, M'Lady," he spoke, causing Ladybug to furrow her brows in irritation.

   "Shut it, Chat, we have a problem to deal with," she chided with a distasteful frown.

   Chat creased his eyesbrows in confusion as he shook it off, continuing to attack the akuma. It didn't take too long to defeat them as the item which held the akuma cracked to bits and released a butterfly of a purple ombre. Ladybug swung her yo-yo around in the air before capturing the little calamity and purifying it to a white tone. She hadn't spoken her signature sentence as she sent the butterfly off with a sassy pose and a disfavourable expression.

   "Uh, Ladybug? Are you alright?" Chat chimed as he stepped closer to the collage of black dots.

   Ladybug ignored him as she turned around and equiped her yo-yo to escape the suffocating atmosphere. As she flew off, a rooftop was the furthest she had gotten before she'd been taken a hold of her wrist by Chat Noir. He glowered mournfully as his eyes narrowed in concern. Ladybug had never seen Chat make such an expression before, it was like a side that only she knew of. It kind of made her a little happy.

   "W-what do you want, Chat. I've got better things to do than listen to your stupid puns," she declared as she tugged at her wrist, wanting him to release her.

   Chat Noir didn't seem to be listening as he pulled on her wrist, pulling her to face him. Her mouth caved as her eyes stared up at his face, she looked adorable. She bobbed her head as she realised the kind of face she was making and began to scowl, wrapping her free hand around her waist, clutching to the opposite side of her.

   "What do you want, Chat Noir?" she asked in annoyance.

   Chat blushed a little as he scratched his nose, avoiding eye contact.

   "I wanted to know what was wrong?" he replied.

   Ladybug sighed as she snatched her hand away, wheeling her figure around to face the opposite way. She stared at the concrete roofing as she possessed a slight smile; it made Ladybug a little happy that he cared.

   "Nothing's wrong," she lied, her tone gesturing that she might burst into tears at any moment.

   Chat furrowed his brows as he let his arms drop at his side. He didn't believe in that shaking voice or this harsh Ladybug she'd seemed to become.

   "Don't lie, I know something's wrong, you can tell me," he placed a hand on her shoulder as he smiled weakly.

   Ladybug widened her gaze as she slapped his hand from her shoulder and felt a tear roll from her eyes. Her face was red bathing in crimson as her cheeks remained a pool for her tears. They came one after the other.

   "How do you know that! You don't know me, you don't know how I'm feeling!" she turned and snapped at him.

   Chat felt his expression develope into an alarmed state as he stepped back, Ladybug stepping forward in her fit. She shouted and cursed at him as he let her.

   "Now, you've gone and made me cry, even when nothing was wrong to begin with! You're the worst," she blamed as her eyes grew puffy.

   Chat frowned as he stared at the ground, half feeling guilty. He didn't know what to do. 

   "Now, I can't stop crying!" she cried.

   Chat Noir trailed his gaze to her tear-bleeding eyes as she stared at him with exasperation and anger. She clenched her fists as the leather created sounds. Chat Noir gained an idea. He grasped Ladybug's wrists as he pulled her closer, leaning in. He pressed his lips to hers as he hastily shut his eyes tightly. Ladybug creased her eyebrows in surprise as her limbs grew weak. Even if Ladybug hated to admit it, Chat's kisses were the best. She slowly eased her tense expression as her eyes dried up and her face laced a pink, inclining into the kiss. She allowed her head to sway alongside Chat's as she empowered him to trance her, loving the taste of his peppermint breath.

   As she realised what they were doing, she pulled away, covering her lips and staring up at him. He watched her as his cheeks flourished a gentle pink.

   "W-what are you doing?!" she queried as her voice shook.

   Chat pulled on a confident expression as he stared down at her, trying not to die of embarrassment. He smirked as he leant his face in closer to hers, she could feel his breath on her face. As he half smiled, she became confused.

   "You stopped crying."

-

-

-