Chapter 7: Courage of a Lion and Forging of Friendship

Hermione's POV

   'I don't get what all the ruckus is...' I think to myself as I walk through the corridors of Hogwarts towards the library. For the past several weeks everyone has been either walking on eggshells or in a tizzy since Selena Black came. Sure in the beginning it was understandable, but now it's just childish. She hasn't done anything to anyone and has been following most of the rules except the dress code. Most of the time I see her is either in class, at meals, in the library, walking the grounds, or in our room. Rarely will I see her in the common room and no one has made an effort or try to get to know her.

   As I enter the quiet library, I spot the lonely Selena at a table by herself while others were sitting around her. With a huff, I make the conscious decision of walking over and sit at her table. Causing one of the biggest scandals of the century.

Selena's POV

   I was in the library working on my homework alone as others sat at tables around mine. For the past few weeks all I've heard were the murmurs about me and my family, as well as the title I was given- 'The Black Princess' or 'The Scarlet Snake'. They weren't very original and one of them was one I already had, from birth and the press. So here I am working, minding my own business when I heard someone walking towards me.

   I look up from my potions homework to see the Hermione Granger, 1/3 of the Golden Trio, brightest witch of our age, and mudblood (Draco's word, not mind) of Gryffindor; AKA one of my roommates. She looked a little nervous when she met my luminescent eyes. "Can I sit here?" she timidly asked, as if she was expecting me to refuse. I nodded before going back to work. She sat down across from me and also got to work, it was quiet for most of the time until she groaned in frustration.

   I glanced over and asked "What's wrong?" That caused her to jump, probably not expecting me to pay any mind.

   After she explained her conundrum in herbology and me explaining the differences between the Moonlight Peonies and the Snowdrop Root; then we started to actually talk about other things like home, parents, views on houses, and girl things. We talked up until dinner which we walked and talked down to the doors. Everyone was staring at us and got real quiet, dishearten I said "See 'ya later." before splitting to go find a spot at the table.

3rd POV

   It was dinner at Hogwarts and most of the students were already in the Great Hall, that included Ron Weasley and Harry Potter. They were waiting for Hermione to come back from the library; hearing laughter toward the entrance, turned to be shocked with everyone else in the room. Their friend, their Hermione was walking and laughing with Selena Black; the Murderer's daughter and seemed to be enjoying her company. Their laughter stopped when they saw the room and it seemed that Black said something before moving towards an empty part of the table. Hermione looked dejected with a wave farewell before heading towards the boys.

   "It's cruel how everyone is treating her, like some common criminal when she's just a regular person." She huffed as she took a seat in front of the flabbergasted duo, the room gone back to normal. "She is one, Hermione! Why else would she be in prison for all her life and why are you even talking, not to mention laughing with her?!" Ron bellowed; still trying to comprehend the scene he just witnessed.

   "We were talking, honestly Ron; you can't still think that. I saw her all alone in the library and sat at her table. She helped me with some herbology and we started getting to know each other. She's actually very nice and funny, more like sarcastic and doesn't share in the blood status mania." Hermione defended as they turned to see Selena wave to her cousin before returning to her dinner and book she was reading.

   "Does it hurt terribly Draco?" the trio overheard Pansy Parkinson ask Malfoy while he replied with "Horribly, if it wasn't for Madame Promfrey; bout in a minute or two... I could have lost my arm. Couldn't possible done homework for weeks."

   "He's really laying it on thick, isn't he?" Ron exasperated as they looked over at the Slytherin table. Hermione was commenting on what Malfoy's father would do when Seamus Finnegan came running down the aisle.

   "He's been sighted! He's been sighted!" waving the newspaper and bellowing like a town crier; through it down in the middle of the table, catching everyone's attention.

   "Who?" asked Ron, which Seamus immediately answered "Sirius Black!"

   That caught everyone and crowded around, including said man's daughter; who was corralled behind Harry. "Dufftown?! That's not far from here." Hermione read and replaced the paper.

   "You don't think he'll come to Hogwarts, do you?" Nevil asked nervously, having scooted over from his original seat. "There's dementors at every entrance." Someone answered for him from the crowd.

   "He's gone past them once, who's to say he won't do it again!?" Seamus announced, slightly panicking, glancing all around and catching a glimpse of Selena.

   "Black's like smoke. Like trying to catch smoke with your bare hands." Another student ominously stated before everyone started to toss around theories. Harry was the only one (Hermione a little later) to notice that Selena had gotten out and was heading for the doors with a solemn look coloring her features. 'She truly doesn't deserve this...' Harry thought, unknowingly feeling a pang in his heart.

*************

SORRY 4 MAKING YOU GUYS WAIT SOOO LONG 4 AN UPDATE. I HAVE NO EXCUSES EXCEPT FOR WORK, COLLEGE, DEPRESSION, ND FAMILY DRAMA. I HAD 2 FIND A GOOD PLACE 4 MYSELF AND NOW I HAVE. PLUS, I ALSO HAD 2 RE-WATCH THE MOVIE. NEXT ONE SHOULD BE COMING EITHER TOMORROW OR DURING THE WEEK.