Chapter Eleven: Maybe Not

Zayn

Zayn felt his stomach drop to the ground. Here it comes, Zayn said to himself, the rejection. “I don’t know why you didn’t tell me.” Liam said softly. “Well, at first I didn’t. Then I figured it out. You don’t want me as a mate.”

“What.” Was the only thing Zayn could produce. Liam thought he didn’t want Liam?

“I get why, like, I’m not… Well, I am hurt, I guess. But nothing I can’t get over. I’m sure you’ll find a nice girl to marry or something.” Liam said, nonchalant, but Zayn could see the hurt in his eyes.

“Liam-”

He shook his head, getting up. “It’s okay Zayn. I get it, you don’t have to, I don’t know, try and force yourself with me, just because part of you thinks we’re meant to be together.”

Zayn sat there in shock as Liam left, confused.

-Ж-

He sat there for what felt like hours, still in shock, before a very pissed off human walked in.

“Ok. I am done with the two of you playing stupid!” Louis fumed, pacing in from to of Zayn. “You are going to get up off your lazy ass, go over to my place, and talk to Liam. You have no say in this. You are going to speak to him, and then you two are going to go on a proper date, and you’re not going to be a pair of idiots! Do you understand me?” Louis paused, glaring at him. “Do you know what Liam does when he’s hurt? He doesn’t cry, he doesn’t get mad. No. He shuts down. He pretends everything’s ok, when it’s not, and goes into this state of almost not living. You’re going to bring him out of that, do you under that? Because you better. I’m so done with you and your stupidity! Screw keeping secrets. He likes you, Zayn. And you like him, so get over yourselves and talk to each other!”

“Liam…” Zayn said, still sitting, but slowly (and finally) getting out of his state of shock.

“Is basically in love with you!” Louis shouted, face slightly red. “Now go and fucking talk to him, you dumbass!”

“He thinks I don’t like him.” Zayn said to himself, mind beginning to process what Liam had said.

“But you do.” Louis pointed out.

“He thinks I… Holy shit.” Zayn said, fully coming to his sense. “I’ve got to go talk to him.”

Louis let out a noise of relief, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Thank god. Finally!”

Zayn got up, and grabbed his jacket, running out to the forest, deciding it would just be better to run to Liam’s. The sun was peaking over the horizon, meaning it was probably somewhere around 6 in the morning. I waited over 6 hours? Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. Zayn muttered in his head, coming up to the house. It was a Sunday morning, and all the lights seemed to be off. He could sense which window was Liam’s, and picked up a small stone, tossing it at the window.

It took a few moments (and a few more stones) before Liam’s head popped up. “What the hell Zayn? It’s quarter after 6. In the morning.”

“I like you.” Zayn rushed out, not wanting to keep it in anymore. “I like you, a lot. I was just shocked and terrified when you told me you had over heard. I thought you liked Niall, and you seemed happy like that. I didn’t want to scare you away telling you that we were meant to be together. I really, really, like you Liam.”

Liam looked at him in shock, before an angry look crossed his face. “If you’re just saying that…”

Zayn shook his head. “No. Never. I like you Liam. I liked you before I realised that you’re my mate, that I’m yours. You’re… You’re different. You’re good, kind of naive in a way, but still you… You get me.” He ran his hand through his hair with a sigh. “Liam… I thought you liked Niall because I didn’t- I don’t deserve you.”