NINE

We were eating in complete silence as Dale watched awkwardly from behind the counter

We were eating in complete silence as Dale watched awkwardly from behind the counter. Something is going on between these three and I don't know what, but I plan to find out.

"So, sweetie, how's school?" My mom questioned, trying to clear the awkwardness in the air.

"Fine." I mumbled as I stabbed my fork into my macaroni and cheese.

My dad sighed and by the look on his face, I could tell he was about to explode. "Dale, do you mind telling me what you were doing with my wife last week?" He clenched his jaw and his knuckles were turning white from gripping the table.

"Jace, not in front of Kieran." My mom spoke sternly.

He snapped his head around towards her and shouted, "She deserves to know that her mom likes to fool around with the owner of the Dingo and Jay's, Lia. Just like I deserved to know!"

My eyes went wide and my stomach twisted. I turned towards Mom with a horrified look on my face and tears rolled down her face. "Baby girl...."

I shook my head. "I'm going home."

I stormed out of the restaurant and ran across the street to my grandma's house. When I entered, she immediately ran up to me and pulled me into a hug. "What's wrong, sugar?" She questioned.

"Mom, Dad, and Dale are apparently in some love triangle." I rolled my eyes and my grandma's face turned pale.

"What?" I asked worriedly as she ran into a room and came out with a portrait.

"I drew this because I had this vision. I know it sounds stupid, but it's a love triangle." My grandma spoke as she handed me the drawing.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "But this shows two girls and a guy? With their situation, it's a girl and two guys

I furrowed my eyebrows, "But this shows two girls and a guy? With their situation, it's a girl and two guys."

"Yeah, I know." My grandma sighed, "That's something that's going to happen to you."

I laughed. "Okay, grandma. Now you're just getting crazy on me. I'll never be in a love triangle."

"Whatever you say." My grandma remarked. "I'm selling it, but trust me, this portrait will find a way back to you."

//

MY EYES WENT huge. 

"What? Have you seen this before?" Darry asked as he came up behind me.

I coughed. "Umm.. no. I don't recognize it at all."

Darry gave me a weird look. "Alright then. Well, let me drive you back home. You have school tomorrow, you'll probably be exhausted."

I nodded and hopped in his truck. The drive home was quiet, thank goodness. I needed time to think this through. Was my grandma right? We all just thought she was crazy, but... I believe her now.

Am I in a love triangle with Ponyboy and... Cherry?

I mentally laughed, I can't be in a love triangle with them. Ponyboy would instantly pick Cherry over me. It's pretty obvious after what happened at the Nightly Double.

We soon got to my house and I thanked Darry. I quietly entered my house and tiptoed into my bedroom, breathing out a sigh of relief. I'll have to ask Gramps about grandma's portrait tomorrow.

//

"RISE AND SHINE!" My grandpa shouted as he threw the covers off of me, causing me to bury my head in my pillow and groan.

"Did you really have to wake me up like that?" I questioned groggily while rubbing the sleep out of my eyes.

"Yes, yes I did." My grandpa replied with a smart tone which caused me to giggle. I loved when he was being smart or sarcastic with me.

I hurried and got dressed and as soon as I got in the kitchen, I sat at the table, surprising Gramps. "You usually just head out the door, why are you sitting at the table?" He asked while reading his newspaper.

"I have a question." I fiddled with my fingers and he sat the newspaper down. "Shoot."

"Do you remember that one portrait grandma drew?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Honey, your grandma drew tons of portraits, be a little bit more specific."

"The love triangle."

"Oh yeah, I remember that one. She went nuts about it. She said it involved you, like it involved your parents and Dale." He recalled and I gave him a light smile.

"Okay, just wondering." I answered.

"What? Do you have a little love triangle going on?" My grandpa gave me a smirk.

"Me? No!" I yelled and ran out the door before he could interrogate me further.

I spotted Ponyboy and Johnny walking and as much as I didn't want to talk to him, I had to ask him about the portrait. I caught up to them out of breath and Johnny flashed me a smile. I gave him one back and shot a glare at Ponyboy which caused him to sigh. "Kip, I care about you a lot. You know that, right?" He questioned as his voice cracked.

And it wasn't the puberty that caused his voice to crack, it was him trying to hold back tears.

(HAHAH I HATE MYSELF AND MY TERRIBLE JOKES^^)

I sighed. "Pony, where did you get that picture?"

"The one with the guy and two girls shooting at the heart?" He asked as I nodded.

"I got it from Dale." He replied while shrugging and I stopped in my tracks.

"What's wrong?" Johnny asked, noticing the look that was clearly evident on my face.

"Nothing, just feeling a little sick, that's all." I gave him a weak smile.

I have to tell Pony. Alone. He probably won't believe a word I say, but it's worth a try. Lord, I'm turning into my grandma.

I guess this is a whole different battle between greasers and Soc's.

It's a love battle.

In that case, let the games begin.