TWENTY-THREE

"We live in a house of mirrors and think we are looking out the windows

"We live in a house of mirrors and think we are looking out the windows." 
{Frederick Solomon Perls}

//

THE MORNING BREEZE was blowing through my hair as I gazed at the carnival in front of me. I turned to Pony and sighed. "It's sad how this used to be a happy place for me, but now all it brings me is bad memories and nightmares."

He gave me a sad smile and pulled me into a hug. "Don't worry, Kieran. When we catch Lead, I'll let you do anything you want."

A small smile tugged at my lips and I rested my hand on the switchblade in my back pocket, my nerves were all over the place. Pony could tell, but he couldn't comfort me because he felt the same exact way. I took a deep breath and started walking towards the gate that was covered in chains. I placed my hands on the bars and lifted myself up and over the gate, surprising Pony.

I chuckled. "I guess all of those years of playing sports in the backyard with my dad finally paid off."

Pony climbed over the gate, but his landing wasn't as smooth as mine. He collapsed on the ground, his face in mud. I started giggling uncontrollably and started holding my stomach because I was laughing so hard. Pony sat up and shot me a glare, wiping the mud off of his face.

"You suck, you know that right?" He questioned as I kept laughing.

We started walking side by side, trying not to make any more noise than we already did. I gulped and stopped in my tracks making Pony turn around and furrow his eyebrows. "Kieran, are you okay?"

I shook my head as I glanced at the Ferris wheel. My younger-self's voice started playing in my mind, along with Gramps's like a broken record.

"Gramps, let's go on the Ferris wheel!"

"Gramps, we can see everything from up here!"

"Yeah, Sunshine. We're taking on the world. Me and you."

"You really love that bear, huh?"

"Of course I do, Gramps, you're the one that won it for me."

"Are you going to keep that bear the rest of your life?"

"I'll keep it safe, so even if I'm without you, I'll still think of you."

"Well, that makes me feel really happy, Kieran."

"I love you, Gramps."

"I love you too, Kieran."