Eight

Kate

                "Oh my God." Stacey was sobbing already. "You – look – so – beautiful!" She managed through gasps and sobs.

I did not look beautiful. I looked like my lower half had been consumed by a mass of tulle. "Would this even fit through a doorway?" I asked and tried to flatten the mess.

Stacey kept crying, Mia stifled a snigger, and I tried to adjust the corset top to, I don't know, actually keep my boobs in?

"This is just-" I tried to come up with some word, something in the English dictionary had to exist strong enough to explain this catastrophe, but my words eluded me.

"So pretty!" Stacey wailed.

"Not working." I huffed and struggled in lifted all the tulle to be able to step down from the podium. "Not working at all." I specified and tried to waddle my way back to the dressing room.

It had been the longest two weeks of my life since the girls had arrived. We'd picked out flowers and big expensive vases, toured venues, eaten cake, after cake, after cake, guest after guest they kept arriving to the mansion and still no Nash this was the third time I had been dragged wedding dress shopping. The first two times had included Mrs. Genovese and my uncle, Gia had dished out back hand compliments galore. I had not gotten to sit down for more than twenty minutes all week and I was about ready to burst.

Stacey had sobbed at every dress I had tried on, even the hideous ones, which so far I hadn't found a single one I liked. She picked several of my dresses, Mia picked several of my dresses, I hadn't picked a single one. None were speaking to me. I simply wasn't in the mood to try on dresses. I was just exhausted and my mind was lost on silverware, and dance lessons and castles-

"Have you thought maybe trying a little color?" Mia suggested startling me.

"Jesus Mia." I muttered, I hadn't even noticed her standing in the doorway of the dressing room and she had startled me.

"Maybe a blush or champagne color?"

I sighed and shook my head. "You know his mother told me the same thing. That it would be a lie to wear white." I huffed as I tore the dress off. "That only the pure are supposed to wear white."

She snorted. "Yeah, good luck finding any of them around."

"Here, try this." Mia suggested passing me another heap of silk and fabric. She helped me into the gown and we went back out to join Stacey who had finally composed herself for the moment.

I had the dress pulled up as I had to carry much of it to even be able to walk, when I got onto the podium I let go and it all fell into place. Stacey let out a loud awe and the crying commenced again.

Hormones.

"Quit being a scrooge. You should be happy. You're getting married." Mia encouraged me.

I chewed the inside of my cheek for several long moments before turning around took look at myself in the many mirrors. "I know."

"Well you want to marry him, don't you?"

"Of course! Of course I want to marry Alessio. I love him with everything I have I'm just...overwhelmed." I turned back around to face them. "All these people I've never even met before, everyone knows me, everyone calls me Mrs. Genovese already. You know how many cakes he wanted? You know what, you don't even need to know. We went cake tasting just for him to berate the guys the entire time like some loon, and I mean he was harsh, like really harsh, and then he said to get one of everything! One of everything! Can you even believe it? The man wanted to drop half a million dollar to rent an entire hotel. I can't handle all of this, everything is just moving fast. One minute we're traveling all over the place and the next he goes oh hey, by the way I thought we could get married by the end of summer. Like who plans a wedding in just months?"

"Who hides an engagement for half a year?" Stacey countered quickly.

"We weren't hiding it. I just didn't think it would happen anytime soon. We were just more focused on getting Alessio better."

"Is he? Better that is?" Mia asked in a more hushed tone as if he was here himself to hear the conversation. He didn't exactly tell kindly to the discussion of his health. He was too proud to admit that there had ever been a problem.

"Mostly. He won't admit it, but I know he's been going shooting with his dad. I can smell the gun powder on him and I've heard the guys talking. I don't know how accurate he is but I guess he doesn't need to take breaks between rounds anymore. Things that require a lot of precision are still a bit rough, like threading a needle or something his hand gets kind of shaky sometimes but he's really good. I'm not worried about that."

"What are you worried about then?"

"I'm not worried about anything, I'm just overwhelmed."

"Really?" Stacey said sounding doubtful and then blowing her nose.

I sighed. "I'm just overwhelmed I think. I mean we're getting married in a castle. The Odescalchi Castle, sure it looks creepy and total screams vampire king and all that which is cool but Jesus, it's a castle."

"But still cheaper than that hotel he wanted to rent out." Stacey pointed out.

"And his mother. Oh God. She makes all these comments about me wearing white, about my cooking skills-"

"You mean lack thereof?"

"Comments about the house we are building and Alessio's money, and how I don't know how to take care of him when he's sick or how to properly polish the silver and just ugh. I don't want to be the kind of family that has silver to even need polishing. I'm surrounded by all these family members and there's so much to do for this wedding in such a short time and I gained like five pounds this month alone with all the trying of foods and cakes and wines and now I look like a ham in all these dresses!"

"Okay." Mia finally sighed and stood up. "You're not getting a dress today. You're too overwhelmed. You just need a break."

"The house is going to take a whole year to build and now there's some stupid gas line issue that is going to push it back before we can even get the permit. Oh my God, I can't live with his parents any longer, I'm about to lose my mind."

"Hon it is so far gone already. Come on, let's get you out of this dress."

"I'm not going to have time to pick a dress and get it altered if I don't pick it now and we still have to pick the brides maid dresses and find a minister and-" I started rambling as Mia began undoing my dress in the show room, not that there was anyone else around to see, Ugo had ensured that we would have the place to ourselves and the full attention of the staff.

"Drink. You need to drink and have lots of sex. His mom wants you to be defiled before the wedding we'll show her defiled!"

-----------------------------------------

Double update because of such long absence...

vote and comment.