Thirty Two

Kate

The last of our guests had finally arrived to the Genovese Estates. Ugo had arrived for an engagement dinner to celebrate. We would have an engagement dinner tonight, in five weeks and two days a rehearsal dinner, and then I would become Mrs. Genovese.

I was sitting on the edge of the bed gin bottle in hand getting sloppier than a kindergarteners art projects and I couldn't find it in me to shed a single tear.

Oh they would come, of that I was sure. But it was hard to see past the bottle in my hand.

Somehow or another I found myself drunkenly lost, with no idea whose room I was in and where it was, how I had gotten curlers in my hair, and really, where did my clothes go? They'd been replaced with a fuzzy pink robe. The only thing I was missing was a slimy green face mask and I would be set. I should be painting my nails and getting ready for this dinner where everyone would be present.

I let out a hiccup.

A knock on the door nearly knocked me off the bed, I got up to my feet. Bare feet as something terrible may have happened to my shoes. Or I took them off.

"Good news, no one has decided to kill you. Drink this." Sergio said coming into the room and setting a gallon of water on the dresser.

"Kill me?" I repeated. "Where am I?"

"Moretti Estate. And yes. Kill you. What in God's name have you done with your clothes?"

I shrugged.

"You drove a golf cart into a car."

"Purely accidental, I'm sure." Uninterested I leaned over the side of the bed to retrieve my gin sitting back up I swayed from side to side.

"You backed up and drove back into it three times."

"Hmmm." Uninterested I went to take a drink but he grabbed the bottle from my hand first. "Hey." I protested and looked up as he was directly in front of me now.

"And then you tipped it over." He motioned towards my arm. "The guards couldn't decide if they should kill you or help you. They called my number thinking you were mentally handicapped Kate. When I got out there you were throwing swings, hitting people with your cast-"

"It's my bionic arm."

"Be that as it may these are highly trained professional you were attacking."

"I'm highly trained too you know. Alessio has made sure of it. If I were to take you out-" I pointed my toes and touched them to his ankle, slowly I brought them up to his knee as he took a swig. "I would start right here." I said stopped at his knee.

"And if I were to take you out-" He gave me a once over and then handed me the bottle. "I'd give you a bottle and let you drink yourself into a coma."

"Hmph." I took the bottle back and stood up. "Sergio."

He raised an expectant eyebrow and I did the only thing a sensible person in my situation would do.

I dropped my robe.

His eyes dropped down to take in my body and then shot back up to my face instantly. "Oh." He managed with a blush running all the way from his cheeks to the tips of his ears.