Thirteen

Kate

I was totally useless.

I cursed loudly as knife made contact with skin and pulled half the roll of paper towels off and forced it against my skin. I continued sprouting off a long stream of curses that would have made any sailor proud and any mother cringe.

In case this couldn't have possibly been going any worse Sergio came plundering into the kitchen whistling a merry tune, he slowed down when he noticed me having some sort of conniption. "Issues?"

Sergio entered the kitchen and pulled a can of soda. He popped the tab and leaned against the counter to face me as I stood at the center of the island holding the paper towel to my hand. "Issues?"

"No." I huffed.

He slid up onto the counter behind him and took a drink. "Whatcha doin?"

"Playing tiddly winks in a bar, what does it look like I'm doing?" I pulled open a number of paper towels free from the roll again and switch them out for the bloodied ones.

"From over here? Looks like a botched suicide attempt."

"Well it's not! But now that you've planted the idea in my head...I'm just trying to make dinner!"

"You cook?"
"No but I volunteered tonight." I groaned and dropped the empty cardboard roll on the counter.

"Well, then wouldn't you think volunteering was a bit of a, oh I don't know, stupid thing to do?"

"You know one day Alessio's mom made this comment about her son withering away into nothing because he wasn't eating enough and then his dad piped in about how they'd just have to hire a personal cook for him to make sure he was "taken care of" like hello? I'm his wife! It's my job to take care of him! Then Ari comes in and she can help with dinner, so like a complete moron I said I was a great cook and I'd just love to make dinner tonight. Of course he's fȕcking Italian, has a huge fȕcking family and they all eat like fȕcking elephants. How the hell do you come up with enough food to feed a herd of elephants? You don't! That's how!"

Sergio watched me with a bemused expression and his grin only grew the longer I went on.

"Of course his mother could feed five of these herds! She makes like twelve course meals. I swear she pulls these fine dining dishes out of her ass hole or some shit. It's ridiculous. I mean like, how does everything even finish at the exact same time? When does she even find time to get all this cooking done? You know what I think it is? A conspiracy. She probably orders catering every night or has all the workers help her. There's just no way someone can cook that much, all by themselves, in such a short amount of time. It's just not even humanly possibly. I refuse to buy into this trickery! Some sort of black magic shit going on around here." I continued on as I dramatically slammed things around one handed.

Sergio's cold laughter interrupted my rant suddenly. I'd actually forgotten he was even there. I should probably be embarrassed at unloading all of that, but I was far too invested in how much I couldn't stand this guy. I glared at him for a few moments and then returned to holding my bleeding hand firmly. "Okay." He finally said after several minutes of laughter.

"Okay?" I repeated.

"Okay I'll help you." He slid off the counter, he readjusted his bandana and began pulling pots and pans from various cupboards.