EPILOGUE

Kate

"How could you embarrass me like that! Oh my God I'm going to die!" Charlie began feverishly. I kept my hands crossed over my chest. This girl was insane if she thought she would have no consequences to this!

"You broke the rules and you broke our trust Charlie, now give it to me." I held out my hand. She gripped her phone to her chest like miniature life raft and shook her head. "Charlie Marie Genovese you give me that cell phone right this moment!"

"But Mommmm-" She began whining.

"Do you want to this punishment to go on for two weeks instead? Or rather I tell your father you won't hand it over and he take it for a month?"

She began begging but I wasn't budging. I kept one hand on my hip and the other out stretched waiting for the phone. I could probably physically take it from her with little trouble, but that lacked the desperate satisfaction of her handing it over herself.

"You don't understand what it's like to be me! I just want to be normal, have a normal night out, why are you mad at me and not Dad?"

"Because Dad didn't sneak around and lie about where he was going and who he was going to be with."

"But he did lie! He told me I could go out! You both did!"

"We told you that you could go see Addy and Emma, we did not tell you that you could sneak out and go to a party with a bunch of college kids. What were you even thinking Charlie?"

"You always take his side!"

"Charlie, you lied, you were wrong, that's the only side I need to see!"

"But he had me followed! I'm not a child anymore Mom! I'm old enough to make my own decisions, I'm not like, stupid or anything!"

"You are still a child Charlie. Phone. Now."

"But Mom-"

"One."

She slapped the phone into my hand but didn't let go. "I just wanted to have one good night, a normal night-"

"You don't get to be normal Charlie."

"You and Dad, you just wouldn't even understand!"

"Oh yes Charlie, you're right, you're the only girl in the history of the world to have a crush on a boy. Does he even know how old you are?"

"Uh, duh, no, I was too busy running from the goons to talk to him!" But he knew she was going to a college party, so likely, no, he had no idea.

"It really doesn't matter how gorgeous he was Charlie. You aren't going to see him again and that is not negotiable and you know why."

"Ugh! You're ruining my life!" Charlie screeched before slamming her bedroom door in my face.

"That's why they call me MOM!" I yelled back through the door. Seconds later I was drowned out music loud enough to vibrate the walls.

Oh this kid!

With a huff I stomped back up the stairs. "We have a problem." I had to speak loudly to be heard over the heavy sounds of Alessio's feet coming down on the treadmill with each stride. Wisely, we had decided I would handle Charlie while Alessio would go and let his frustration out in his gym.